Menu
romcgrath
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Energy use

Can anyone help? My electricity usage for the last month is massively higher than this time last year and the only difference I can think of is we upgraded our V+ box to TiVo and got the new wifi box. Would this account for nearly double previous electricity usage? How can I reduce it? Does the TiVo still record if we switch off the wifi overnight?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Argy
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Energy use

I found this old post http://virgintivo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/examining-energy-cost-of-virgin-medias.html from 2011 which asked the same question and provided the answer that a Tivo on 24x7 would use 0.48kWh (kilowatthours) per day.

My SH2 uses around 8W (source http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/wireless-routers/52755/virgin-media-new-super-hub-review)

Using same calculation ((Power usage in W/1000)*24) gives me the SH2 using 0.192kWh/day

So the Tivo & the SH2 combined uses 0.67kWh/day.

If you look at your electricity bill, you should be able to work out how much that will cost you. On my current tariff, it comes out at around 8p (yes £0.078) a day, or approximately £2.37/month.  

My last month's electricity bill showed I used £6.88 - so for me, the Tivo & SH2 on 24*7 account for about 35% of my usage.

I have not enabled any of the eco powersaving options - I found my Tivo was more reliable when it wasn't powered down!

Of course, your figures will vary, but at least you should now be able to work out how much of your increase is down to the Tivo & SH.

And finally, to answer your last question - the wifi and Tivo recording are totally unrelated. You can turn your SH off and the Tivo will still record..

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No - it won't be that - the modem will use less power than TiVo.

On TiVo on the settings - and then devices - you can set it to save power when not recording. But it will not be a massive change as TiVo doesn't use a lot anyway.

You have something else causing the power drain - and a meter is going to be required to help you find it.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos

All Replies
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We have two TiVo on all night and didn't really see much difference (a couple of pence) when they had been disconnected for a couple of days  -  but ensure they are in 'powersave' mode in settings.

I suspect it is something else using the power.

Do you have a smart meter?

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
romcgrath
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do you set power save? Does that make any difference to performance - it's slow enough as it is! No smart meter. It was just storage how our usage shot up around the time we go the TiVo and nothing else has changed. Could it be the new wifi rather than the TiVo?
0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I found this old post http://virgintivo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/examining-energy-cost-of-virgin-medias.html from 2011 which asked the same question and provided the answer that a Tivo on 24x7 would use 0.48kWh (kilowatthours) per day.

My SH2 uses around 8W (source http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/wireless-routers/52755/virgin-media-new-super-hub-review)

Using same calculation ((Power usage in W/1000)*24) gives me the SH2 using 0.192kWh/day

So the Tivo & the SH2 combined uses 0.67kWh/day.

If you look at your electricity bill, you should be able to work out how much that will cost you. On my current tariff, it comes out at around 8p (yes £0.078) a day, or approximately £2.37/month.  

My last month's electricity bill showed I used £6.88 - so for me, the Tivo & SH2 on 24*7 account for about 35% of my usage.

I have not enabled any of the eco powersaving options - I found my Tivo was more reliable when it wasn't powered down!

Of course, your figures will vary, but at least you should now be able to work out how much of your increase is down to the Tivo & SH.

And finally, to answer your last question - the wifi and Tivo recording are totally unrelated. You can turn your SH off and the Tivo will still record..

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No - it won't be that - the modem will use less power than TiVo.

On TiVo on the settings - and then devices - you can set it to save power when not recording. But it will not be a massive change as TiVo doesn't use a lot anyway.

You have something else causing the power drain - and a meter is going to be required to help you find it.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
romcgrath
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for your help. I will have to keep looking for the source of our increased electricity usage.
0 Kudos
romcgrath
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As the adverage monthly bill is over £60 per month for a small flat - you are doing very well to only use £6.88 worth.

Argy wrote:

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ozsat wrote:

As the adverage monthly bill is over £60 per month for a small flat - you are doing very well to only use £6.88 worth.

Argy wrote:

I do try - for me it's gas that is the bulk of the overall bill! I have obviously ignored the standing charge element as well, as that is irrelevant in this case.

0 Kudos