Menu
Royson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

End of recordings missing.

How annoying is it to watch a three hour film and find that the recording stops before the end of the film. I thought when I had the TIVO installed that this would see the end of this disappointment. However having experienced this for the third time in as many months, this so called intelligent box cannot cater for any change in the TV listings. I have found that it usually occurs when you record a film late at night or in the wee small hours. Could be previous listings have run over or a live event has run over, I do not care as I should not have to think before I record, all events that could happen. It would appear you can modify the individual recording or record the next listing just in case. This is getting like the USB record facility on a cheap TV. I thought the boffins who sell this as an all seeing, doing box had the thing sorted, how wrong I was as it cannot even follow a simple TV guide alteration. If the settings would allow the same run over as the individual record modifications everything would be simple. Couple this with the farce surrounding the unusable Youtube app and the impossible slow buffering iplayer the whole thing is a bit of a Larry let down.
0 Kudos
T0rNaDo69
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: End of recordings missing.

or it could be that the box is being rebooted, for changes that are going to be made or have been.

this normally happens in the early hours.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Royson,

Thanks for coming by and I'm sorry to hear that you've had recordings cut off too early.  I know how annoying that can be.

I will be happy to help get this sorted for you.

I have taken a look at your box remotely and signal and power level wise all looks great.  The hard drive status is also looking super as well.

You mentioned this usually happens on late recordings.  Has this even happened on a recording that took place during the day so far?

In addition, what may help is you can change the default recording settings.  (Assuming this hasn't been done already)   This can be done by using the following steps:

HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > RECORDINGS > DEFAULT OPTIONS

If you change the option to record extra time after the programme ends this will help prevent any further disruption.  If you prefer not to change the default settings then the same can be done on any planned individual recording or series link.  All you need to do is follow:

HOME > MY SHOWS & RECORDINGS > MANAGE MY SERIES LINKS > SELECT PROGRAMME > MODIFY SERIES LINK.

Hopefully this will help.  If you can get back to me about if this has happened on recordings that occurred during the day, that would be awesome.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Royson
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. To be honest I have telephoned and requested that we do without the Tivo service as I am a little disappointed with it, however this will cost us more money to do that. I will not be entering in to another contract with Virgin as you have no advantages or benefits of a cheaper service out of contract and no way out of reducing the burden within the contract. I suppose this is a bit of a knee jerk to what has happened but the sales pitch around this Tivo box left me a bit surprised when recordings are cut short. In answer to your question, it has only happened later in the evenings or early hour recordings. I would also add that it was probably due to live recordings during the day and usually on BBC. All this does not help when the end of the film is missing. As for the default settings, mine are set at one minute before and four minutes after. The default settings are rubbish and it is beyond me why you cannot set defaults to a wider band as you can individually. The individual settings are not going to be used as it is easier just to record the event after. This is my point as I thought this box overcame all the faults of the other products and was intelligent enough to alter recordings that were now not on time. It would appear not as we have to think for it and make allowances. As for the other services such as YouTube and iPlayer, I suppose that is work in progress. Perhaps I should have waited a little longer in the development before entering. I realise that you will not be able to rectify my complaint but at least if it has happened to others they do not feel isolated.
0 Kudos