Menu
RetroSteveUK
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Electric Shock From Power Button

First I need to explain that this happened over a year ago, and my Tivo box has had issues ever since; I just haven't got around to phoning support (my bad).

Here's what happened:

I went to press the standby button on the front of my Tivo box and got a substantial static electric shock.  Ever since, the green lights on the front of the machine constantly blink rapidly, and the box resets itself at random intervals an average of about 3 to 5 times per day (that I know of).  It also resets itself over night - I know this because whenever it resets, it comes back switched on, so we find that eventhough we go to bed with it in standby, in the morning it's on.

* We've had to stick black tape over the blinking lights as they were driving us nuts.

* The resets interrupt live viewing and recordings and we miss large chunks of programmes.

* The box switching itself on (after resetting) in the night and while we're at work, appears to have made a subtle but noticeable difference to our electric bills.

We've had the box switched off at the mains for various periods of time, including one occasion when we had it powered down overnight.  Nothing has rectified the situation.  The question is, can we get a replacement box without being charged through the nose for it?  Seriously considering going to a freeview / Now TV combination if this doesn't work out for us.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Electric Shock From Power Button

Hi RetroSteveUK,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for getting in touch to let us know the problem you've been experiencing with your TiVo. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems with the box for a year, especially with something as worrying as getting an electrical shock whenever you touch the box. 

This is something that we need to get an engineer out to fix for you straight away. I wish you had got in touch with us as soon as this had happened, so that we could have resolved this for you a year ago. There's no charge for the engineer visit or for replacing faulty equipment. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details so that I can arrange an appointment for you. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page. 

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If the box is faulty which it is simply phone in for an engineer to replace. Unless you deliberately damaged the box there's no charge. 

0 Kudos
RetroSteveUK
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I should really get off my butt & give them a call. lol

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi RetroSteveUK,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for getting in touch to let us know the problem you've been experiencing with your TiVo. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems with the box for a year, especially with something as worrying as getting an electrical shock whenever you touch the box. 

This is something that we need to get an engineer out to fix for you straight away. I wish you had got in touch with us as soon as this had happened, so that we could have resolved this for you a year ago. There's no charge for the engineer visit or for replacing faulty equipment. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details so that I can arrange an appointment for you. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page. 

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
RetroSteveUK
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Awesome! Thanks for that. I'll go check my PM's now. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos