Menu
Occean
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dolby Digital on optical - when will it be fixed?

Hi Virgin Media Team

The issue with a recent firmware update is well documented on the forums, whereby dolby digital isn't available via the optical out on recorded or paused TV.

I am aware of the 'fix' which is to switch to PCM, essentially loosing surround sound.

Can you please advise if and when this problem will be fixed, it is such a shame this has occurred and with my Virgin box having by far the most screen time at home, my home cinema setup is going to waste and this is really enough for me to consider cancelling when the time comes.

Cheers

Eric

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Steve10
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dolby Digital on optical - when will it be fixed?

I've been following all the other threads about this problem for several weeks.

Unfortunately Eric, nobody at Virgin seems to care much about it. As a matter of common courtesy I would at the very least have expected an official explanation for the loss of Dolby via Optical and what, if anything,  Virgin are doing to correct it.

I hope I'm wrong but I get the impression that the fault is a permanent one and there will be no fix.

I am tied to a contract for a few more months and then I will go back to Sky TV. This is a very annoying problem and a deal breaker for me.

Like you, my surround sound system cannot connect via HDMI and is therefore redundant.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Steve10 wrote:

Unfortunately Eric, nobody at Virgin seems to care much about it. As a matter of common courtesy I would at the very least have expected an official explanation for the loss of Dolby via Optical and what, if anything,  Virgin are doing to correct it.

I hope I'm wrong but I get the impression that the fault is a permanent one and there will be no fix.

I am tied to a contract for a few more months and then I will go back to Sky TV. This is a very annoying problem and a deal breaker for me.

Like you, my surround sound system cannot connect via HDMI and is therefore redundant.

This bug was present on the US Tivo on an update, before our update that did almost nothing went live the US's Tivo bug was fixed So there is a fix, they know what the bug is and was imported from the US, so either they have a set schedule for updates and are unwilling to change it or the US want money for fixing a bug they implemented and they're arguing over it, or they don't care, take your pick (or add more choices) but I'm sure if they give an update it will be "Our engineers are still looking into it we have no current ETA"

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

Steve10 wrote:

This bug was present on the US Tivo on an update, before our update that did almost nothing went live the US's Tivo bug was fixed So there is a fix, they know what the bug is and was imported from the US, so either they have a set schedule for updates and are unwilling to change it or the US want money for fixing a bug they implemented and they're arguing over it, or they don't care, take your pick (or add more choices) but I'm sure if they give an update it will be "Our engineers are still looking into it we have no current ETA"

Interesting information about the bug in the US version. Curious that they managed to keep this bug in the updates for the Samsung boxes but not the Ciscos. I have the latter and I am not affected.

It seems more and more that the current VM management want to spend as little as possible so an increasing number of bugs are not being addressed.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
mvan
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In case people wonder where the original thread disappeared to, it was "moved" over the TV section for some unknown reason Smiley Very Happy

4+ months and counting

400+ replies and counting

3000+ views and counting

0 output from the optical port 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/No-sound-on-recordings-and-after-pausing-or-rewinding-...

Thought Richard prided himself on customer service, pity this branding failure is not as good as the airline service with regard to customer service...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Anyone hear about a fix for this yet?

Seems like a long time coming .......... 

In the meantime I bought one of the HDMI splitter adapters for HDMI / Optical Out and it works as advertised.

So HDMI only from TiVO  to adapter and then HDMI to TV and Optical Out to AV amp.

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi wrote:

Anyone hear about a fix for this yet?

Seems like a long time coming .......... 

In the meantime I bought one of the HDMI splitter adapters for HDMI / Optical Out and it works as advertised.

So HDMI only from TiVO  to adapter and then HDMI to TV and Optical Out to AV amp.

They don't care. I thought my formal complaint to the CEO office was completely ignored (after they broke their promise to investigate and contact me back) but when I recently phoned to cancel my services, they at least acknowledged a reference to my complaint on file. Just a shame they didn't see fit to do anything about it, like all the other long standing issues. Good luck to anyone still persisting with Virgin Media television!

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I connect from the same TiVo as you mention, HDMI from TiVo to tv, then optical from amp direct to tv that works perfectly in Dolby digital & 5.1 on HD programmes. Hope you have same success. Micky
0 Kudos
pxg
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This problem is still not fixed!

(The optical output to a amplifier or other device doesn't work from recordings or paused/resumed live tv.)

I've waited long enough - I'm leaving.

0 Kudos
INXS_Fan
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I may need one of these boxes, but I'm aware there's a couple of boxes for around £20 (Tendak & Andoer) off  Amazon - which one works well?

0 Kudos