Menu
NickO99
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Distributing TV around my apartment

Hello,

Within my apartment the virgin media demarcation point is within a utility cupboard tucked away. I would like to distribute my TV services around the apartment i.e. to the bedroom and the lounge. 

The problem is however, having just moved in, the finishes on all the walls (which were quite expensive!) have just been finished.

Is there a neat way to send the tv signals around the apartment without having to damage the wall finishes or just lay a cable across the floor?

Could the router just be placed within the utility cupboard and then use the Virgin media powerline technology to distribute the signals or is this only for internet services and not TV?

Thanks in advance

Nick

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Distributing TV around my apartment

Youll be able to shift Internet access around with powerline, but not TV. Do you currently have TiVo? Where is it sited?

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Youll be able to shift Internet access around with powerline, but not TV. Do you currently have TiVo? Where is it sited?

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can use video senders, these are HD https://www.amazon.co.uk/AEI-DigiSender-Wireless-Digital-Sender/dp/B00AF88DL0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid... and should give you decent quality.

0 Kudos
NickO99
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I havent contacted VM to get my service set up yet but i plan to get a TiVo box.

I would want it to be located at the main tv point in the lounge.

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Are you able to connect the TiVo coax feed via powerline?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If there's an outside wall where you want the TiVo box, they can come in through there and fit a wallplate. Then theres coax from wall plate to TiVo. Its usually a neat job. You would be better getting a TiVo at each TV you want to watch your VM package from, as that's a far easier solution than mucking around with long HDMI leads or dubious quality video senders and the like., £5 a month extra for a 2nd box.

0 Kudos
NickO99
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's great thanks.

I have an IRS coax distribution around the apartment from a multi switch in said utility cupboard. There is no way to send the TV signals over this?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The issue with an IRS install is you're distributing the RF signal.  So whilst in theory you could distribute the VM signal the TiVo needs that way, the major stumbling block is VM use a different spec of coax and wont connect to anything you have installed already*

But you'll still need a TiVo at each point that way because you need a STB to convert the VM RF signal to a TV picture.

*some engineers will , but they're not supposed to.

0 Kudos
NickO99
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You have been a great help thanks
0 Kudos