Menu
Calzor_Suzay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Distorted sound on pause and then playback

I have a Tivo that works perfectly well except sometimes when you pause a live recording then begin playback the sound just blasts out as garbled data. Which means you then have to quit out making the pause facility useless.

This can also happen on recorded programs but with them at least you can quit then restart and fast forward to where you were.

The Tivo is connected over the latest HDMI cable to a new(ish) Yamaha Amp then over the same style cable to a 4k Samsung TV. I do get Dolby Digital etc. sound. The problem has only recently started happening say last few months prior to that it was fine.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Distorted sound on pause and then playback

With trying it straight into the TV to rule out a compatibility issue
0 Kudos
Calzor_Suzay
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No that's a daft test as I've had it about 2 odd years connected to the Amp and it's been fine, also connecting it the TV directly would mean changing the way it outputs the sound option i.e. not DD etc.so not a true test.

I've tried resetting the box as well BTW.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Calzor_Suzay

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with the sound on your TV service. As jb66 has mentioned, in order to properly diagnose the issues you're experiencing we'd need to simplify the set up.

With that in mind, could you try this with just the HDMI cable from the set top box to the TV? Do you have any other HDMI devices plugged into the TV to test the cable? So we can rule out your cable as a potential cause.

I've tested the set top box from our end and we're not seeing anything unusual at the moment, once we know a little more about the issue we'll look to get this escalated.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused, we'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Calzor_Suzay
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've already swapped the cable to a different device on the Amp with the same result and they are 0.5m long so not going to reach to my TV.
Also my TV will only do pass through not decoding so I would then need to run a cable from the Tivo > TV > Amp to be able to hear anything and I'm not about to buy a bunch of cables to 'test' a theory.

It works perfectly OK in normal use day to day until you decide to pause and then playback at which point the sound goes mad like digital noise to the point I'm worried it could blow the speakers if too loud.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Calzor_suzay

Thanks for the response, ideally we want to eliminate all potential causes of the issue which is why we'd always look to simplify the set up.

Does your TV have built in speakers? Simplifying the set up in that way would help to find out more about this issue.

That being said, we can look at arranging for an engineer to come out, but with the potential risk of a call out charge should the issue be with your equipment. I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos