Menu
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Deleting Bookmarks Problem

I started a thread on this topic but I can't find it now, not even when I search on my name. It looks like it was removed for some reason. Anyway...

The problem is that some bookmarks will delete and others won't. When the bookmarks are episodes of Box Sets, they should delete after viewing each episode in order to keep a tabs on where you are in the series.

The first problem I had was with The Librarians. Episode bookmarks would not delete. When I'd watched all episodes, I was able to delete the folder. BUT it was back the next day, complete with all the episodes of the two series. I deleted it again and, this time, it stayed deleted. That's not the only Box Set in which I can't delete individual bookmarks, but it doesn't apply to all Box Sets. With some, I can delete individual bookmarks.

Another situation where I can't delete individual bookmarks is when I created a series link for a programme that's currently being aired. I created the link after the first 2 episodes had been shown but before the 3rd episode. So I was surprised, and very pleased, that bookmarks from Catchup for the first 2 episodes had been placed in the folder. Brilliant! I've just watched the first episode and the bookmark cannot be deleted.

This 'sometimes you can and sometimes you cannot' is a fault with the new Series Link+ system. It's a nuisance, and I'm reporting it in the hope that it is recognised as a fault and will be fixed in due course.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleting Bookmarks Problem

Hello Phil_C,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with the TiVo® bookmarks. I have found your other thread regarding this here.

I have set up a bookmark for a boxset on our office TiVo® and I was able to delete individual episodes but i prefer to us the Clear button which is allocated at the bottom left of the remote. Are you having the same issue using this button?

In regards to the problems you're experiencing with the Series Links are you able to post some screenshots of exactly what's going on so I can try to replicate this too.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose. Thank you for the reply. Like you, I am able to delete individual bookmarks, but only sometimes. Examples of programmes where I haven't been able to delete individual bookmarks are, The Librarians (that was what my first thread was about) and The Suspicians of Mr. Wicher. There are others but those are two that I can readily remember. I didn't watch the Suspicians series all that quickly and, even though there were only 4 of them, I had to start each one until I found one that I knew I hadn't seen. And that's the problem. If a series isn't watched relatively quickly, and if individual bookmarks can't be deleted, it's necessary to remember where you'd got up to, and that's far from a gimme for me Smiley Happy

There are other series that behave the same way, and there are series when individual bookmarks can be deleted. I'm trying to remember which programme it was that caused me to start this thread. It's currently being aired but, after watching 3 episodes, I decided not to continue with it so I deleted the whole folder. One of the episodes would have been recorded but, because the Series Link+ was set to 'Record and Stream' (something like that), I only got a bookmark for it, so it's not in my Recently Deleted folder.

I always use the Clear button to delete things with. Is there another way?

I don't think pics of the TV screen will help. A video would though. I can tell you exactly what happens when I try to delete a bookmark from one of the problem series folders. I press Clear. The normal cross appears on the icon. A second or two later, the cross disappears and the bookmark is still there. Now here's an interesting bit. If I click Clear on it again, I will often, perhaps always, get the thud sound to indicate that what I tried to do isn't possible, and the cross won't appear. I haven't sussed out a pattern for that. It may always happen after the first failed attempt to delete, or it may happen after the second or third attempt. I'm not sure. But it does happen. It's as though part of the system thinks that the bookmark no longer exists because it's been deleted, but another part of the system thinks it still exists and it displays it, and the episode can be watched from it.

To test in the office, try selecting a number of series from the library of Box Sets, especially the two I mentioned. Then let an episode of each of them play through (you don't have to watch them), deleting each after it's finished. (Note: I never let episodes run to the abolute end. When the programme has finished, I Stop it. Only after that do I delete it.) That way would emulate exactly what I'm doing here, and it's so common for me that I can't be coincidentally picking the very few series that do it. Alternatively pop round for a cup of tea and I'll show you lol.

0 Kudos
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've found the answer. It's to do with the blue button sorting.

When it's set to 'my episodes', individual bookmarks will delete. When it's set to 'all episodes', it lists all the episodes, whether they've been chosen from Box Sets or not, and indivdual bookmarks can't be deleted. For instance, I just selected only the first series of The Librarians, but 'all episodes' lists all the episodes in both series 1 and 2 (those are the only series). In that listing, individual episodes can't be removed although the Clear button will pretend to delete it, but fail. It does cause it to be removed from the 'my episodes' listing though. It's also the reason for the thud sound when making another attempt at deleting an episode form that listing. And that's what confused me. Until I just discovered it, I'd been selecting every series of programmes, not realising that the episodes in every series would be listed under 'all episodes'. It sounds rather obvious now, but I didn't find it intuitive, and I'd assumed that 'all episodes' would only list what I'd selected to have listed and had not deleted.

Anyway, problem solved. For some reason, some of my previous series listings must have been set to 'all episodes' and some to 'my episodes'.

In the first thread, someone suggested that it might be the blue button, so I tested it and found no change, but I mustn't have tested it sufficiently.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Phil_C,

I see you've done some research here and I'm very pleased you've found a resolution to this problem. I've also learned something new myself and hopefully this thread will help other people if they're facing the same issue.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know your findings and how to fix it we appreciate things like this on the forum as it's all about helping each other.

If you do have any further queries please let us know and we'll try to help the best we can.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Phil_C
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Now that I've become familiar with the bookmarks system, I'm making much better use of it. For instance, a few days ago I bookmarkd just the first series of a show that I'd never seen, to find out if it would interest me enough to watch. I could have just bookmarked the first episode to achieve the same end but, since bookmarks only use a few bytes, I selected the whole series. And it sometimes takes a few episodes to see if I get 'into' a programme. Either way, all episodes for all series get listed under the blue button's 'all episodes'.

I watched several episodes, decided that I liked it, and selected every epsiode from every series. The good thing is that it isn't necessary to go back to Box Sets to add more. They can be selected from the bookmarks listing in 'my episodes', which is very convenient.

Now that I've got it sorted out, I am very pleased with the bookmarks system.

0 Kudos