Menu
James_Simmonds
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Delayed installation

Over a month ago I signed my contract to switch from Sky to Virgin and was initially given an install date of 3rd November and so arranged with Sky for their service to end the day before.

I then received an email to say that the date had been pushed back to the 8th November (annoying but could live with this) then the day before received a call to say an engineer had been to do a pre check and that they needed to lay extra cable and would need local Council's permission and that at this stage they cannot give me a fixed date.

I work from home and have high usage and having broadband is essential for my job. When I expressed the problem to the customer service rep she suggested I buy a portable dongle to keep me going and they would knock £30 off my first bill. Problem is it cost me £38 for the dongle and 16Gb data which I have used in 2 days! It's £15 to top up another 10Gb! I cannot afford to keep topping up at my expense until Virgin sort their problems out!

Please can somebody advise on how to go about getting compensation for this??
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Delayed installation

Council's can take time on this permission to lay down the coving for the wire you can take this to your local Council for this to get more updates on this permission stage sometimes they will not say but if you on top of it will go faster on the Council you can do this way and go for bt fibre if its in your area and just ask for a temp contact from them and maybe the cheaper way is bt or plusnet then running a dongle to do your job.
this is not virgin media problem its the local Council and part of this is the client not saying something on the phone to virgin media saying there is no cable to your place 

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin having its own network has advantages & disadvantages. This is one of the disadvantages, although problems like this are rare. There is however the advantage that you can overlap services with a BT fed provider, or even run the 2 services together if a backup connection is important to you.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
James_Simmonds
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've never had this kind of issue switching before and with over a month between signing the contract and installation didn't see the complete lack of planning by virgin coming.

I just followed their online steps to switching and (in hindsight naively) thought that a company the size and experience of virgin would have been able to manage a smooth switch from sky to them. To top it all off yesterday morning I got a note through the door advertising how virgin is available in my area and all the great services they can offer! I am just soooo frustrated by the whole thing and nobody seems to care at virgin
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

in new areas you should know this by now they have to get local Council permission to dig up the footpath if i am right nomaly this will not take long if its new in the area it is like bt with there fibre network they have to get permission to do this and virgin media does not use bt lines at all they use there own network and they do they just getting to more areas then bt you should of keeped sky one going untill they installed this then cancel it

ps virgin media can take there time but within permission of the local Council's

0 Kudos
James_Simmonds
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

But all my neighbors have virgin. I can see about 4 different virgin wifi networks from my laptop!
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if your neighbors have virgin media it will come back to virgin media within a other 3 or 7 days on this permission

0 Kudos
James_Simmonds
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I hope so. Major headache at the moment
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would keep your fingers crossed. Telecoms permits don't take priority, & some councils (particularly London Boroughs) can take 2 - 3 months to issue them.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos