Menu
Browser01
Superfast
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

DOCSIS 3

Virgin media are running an advert (in Devon and maybe elsewhere?). It is very slick and has a load of technobabble...not about their service but about the wonders and benefits of docsis3 cabling/technology. 

The tagline is "docsis3, the magic in our cables". Every time the advert came on people groaned and moaned about VM's service (or lack of). As we all know there is no such thing as magic, it is all smoke and mirrors, flim flam and highly dependent on where the audience is sitting. Just saying : )

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: DOCSIS 3

Hi Browser01,

Thanks for your post on our advert. 

Have you never heard off the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus? They're magic Smiley Wink

All jokes aside, having Docsis 3 cable is always a better way forward in our world. 

I'll certainly pass on your feedback to Ed, the Sofa bear and also to our marketing team Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Browser01 wrote:

Virgin media are running an advert (in Devon and maybe elsewhere?). It is very slick and has a load of technobabble...not about their service but about the wonders and benefits of docsis3 cabling/technology. 

The tagline is "docsis3, the magic in our cables". Every time the advert came on people groaned and moaned about VM's service (or lack of). As we all know there is no such thing as magic, it is all smoke and mirrors, flim flam and highly dependent on where the audience is sitting. Just saying : )

That was my response too. Who the hell knows or cares about docsis3. All people see is lack of dolby digital, slow buggy interface, lip sync issues, incomplete user guide information making Tivo functionality useless. Signal levels that constantly need engineers coming around to "fix", oversubscribed areas, poor picture quality, stuttering video, broken suggestions, hdmi errors, lack of dynamic epg, recordings being deleted randomly, noisy hard drives, constant waking up from standby, audio cutting out regularly, pin codes erroneously required for old recordings,  regular reboots in the early mornings, very slow fastforward/rewinds with poor refresh rates.

Can't wait for docsis4 Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated But maybe that would take more than 3 price hikes per year Smiley Happy

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you're that unhappy.....?
Browser01
Superfast
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Feeling unhappy....of course. Feeling patronised....definitely. Fed up with price rises for an incomplete service...you bet!

I do not appreciate being sold one service and getting another which does not live up to the one promised and advertised.

Apologies if this approach inconveniences you.

I will pass your comments on to somebody who cares.

Not so nice being patronised is it?

B

BTW how the hell do you get kudos for......"if your that unhappy" it makes no sense and isn't even a complete sentence.

zilch
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't responding to your post, but the one previous to mine. Makes me wonder if they are an actual VM customer.
0 Kudos
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

But to finish the sentence - 'If you're that unhappy...leave'. Now that makes sense!
0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but it makes even more sense to complain about a failing service before having to leave and possibly incur a penalty payment to do so. Thanks4nothing's reply makes much more sense and VM's employees should take his/her comments as constructive critisism. It is, after all, what this forum was set up to provide. If you are happy with the service you are getting and really don't mind quite so many price hikes then fine. Those of us that do should have the right to express our views. Those that do not agree with these comments should express their view in a polite, considered and amicable manner. Thanks

0 Kudos
Andyjenk
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can someone please tell me how on earth Virgin Media managed to get this 'magic' into the cables to mine and my Neighbour's properties when the cables were installed by NTL well before Docsis 3.0 and the cables have not been touched since?

andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I thought DOCSIS described the transmission protocol technology, not the actual spec of the cable or fibre link that carries it (although a certain minimum quality would be needed of course).

Andre

0 Kudos