Menu
CodeAJAX
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Could i use a TiVo Bolt on the Virgin Media network?

Is it possible if i purchased the new TiVo Bolt from overseas to use it with virgin's cable service?

I know in the T&C's it clearly states to ONLY use VM's own equipment but whats actually stopping you? I'm guessing it would still work as the TiVo bolt uses the EXACT same tech the current Series 4 Premier virgin uses now, just the Bolt has a better CPU, design, features AND 4K!! (Well.... i hate to say it its a **bleep** load better then virgins TiVo)

So is there something I'm missing? Cause Virgin media's infrastructure CAN handle it even the engineer i had the other day said so (in fact he's the one that told me about Virgin working on the TiVo Bolt as i didn't even though they'd released a new box)

So at the moment is it just a case that VM's network can utilize the TiVo bolt but it will not allow you to YET as it detects its not a virgin issued (Rebranded box) like the current TiVo?

-------------------------------
My Virgin media Set-Up: Cisco 500GB TiVo, Cisco 1TB TiVo, SuperHub2ac. With every TV package including Movies/Sports (with HD) and the highest tier BroadBand.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Could i use a TiVo Bolt on the Virgin Media network?

Only Virgin boxes can be used on their network

0 Kudos
CodeAJAX
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Was mainly looking for an answer as to why you can't i know what it says in virgins T&C's but i wanted to know whats stopping you from just hooking up the next TiVo and using it.

-------------------------------
My Virgin media Set-Up: Cisco 500GB TiVo, Cisco 1TB TiVo, SuperHub2ac. With every TV package including Movies/Sports (with HD) and the highest tier BroadBand.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

it wont register on the network as it's not a virgin media device

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

CodeAJAX wrote:

Was mainly looking for an answer as to why you can't i know what it says in virgins T&C's but i wanted to know whats stopping you from just hooking up the next TiVo and using it.

Remember that the TiVo that we have is a Virgin Media box that runs the TiVo software.  Although it is based on the TiVo Premier, the hardware is a Virgin Media designed box.  As to why the TiVo Bolt wouldn't work, there are many reasons.  For a start there is encryption.  Even if it was capable of working with the encryption system that VM use, the box would need to be authorised, which VM would never do.  There's also the possibility that the tuners wouldn't work.  Over here we use 8MHz wide channels to broadcast TV, whilst they use 6MHz channels in America, so unless they are dual standard (which is unlikely as the box is designed for the US market only) then it wouldn't even be able to lock onto the channels.

There are many hardware differenced between what we have now and the TiVo Premier box it is based on, so if Virgin Media are working on a new box that is based on the TiVo Bolt then it would have to be a new box designed for Virgin Media and not just the same hardware used in America.