Menu
dino_23
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Constant buffering/crashing on catchup/on demand

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues as us and whether you have managed to get it resolved. 

We struggle to get through an entire program on any on demand services such as Netflix, iPlayer etc.  Netflix 'encounters a problem', iPlayer starts the spinning buffering wheel of death and then never resumes.  As soon as you stop the program you are watching and start it again it plays immediately for an indefinite amount of time before it does it again.

Example - last night I watched a program on iPlayer that was 45 minutes long and I think I had to restart and resume the program at least 12 times during the course of watching it.  At one point it buffered 5 times in the space of about 2 minutes! We have had similar experiences with Netflix.

I don't believe the problem is with the apps or the internet connection I think it must be something to do with the box itself because our internet speed is absolutely fine and we never have any problems using the same apps on any other device in the house.  Over and above this issue, it is also exceptionally slow to open any apps/on demand services which I assume is part of the same problem.

We have called many times about this and every time our box is reset and we are told 'there is no problem with the speed/connection/etc.'.  The last time this happened and it was 'fixed' by customer support I think we managed to watch all of about 15 minutes of Netflix before it crashed again.  Trying to get someone to accept that resetting the box is not working and getting an engineer to come out and look at it properly is like the search for the Holy Grail!

As a new customer who only joined about 2 months ago who also received notice of a price increase a month after joining I am not a very happy chappy!!  I don't really want to have to have my box reset every couple of days to be able to watch services I am paying through the nose for!

Any help/advice gratefully received

Thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant buffering/crashing on catchup/on demand

Hi dino_23,

A warm welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing buffering problems and Apps cutting out frequently.  I will be happy to check this out with you.

I have taken a look at your TiVo® box remotely and I have found there is a detectable fault with the signal levels.  I would like to arrange an engineer to call out and fix this for you.  

I thought it may be useful for you to know that your TiVo® has it's own dedicated modem which can work on a different part of the network than your Broadband service, this will be why when you use BBC iPlayer/Netflix on other devices why they work better than through the TiVo® box.

I will send you a private message now with details of the engineer appointment for you.  Look for the envelope icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sandman112
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here tonight using iplayer on TiVo, just turned the HD off and it seems better, but hardly the point 

hd stream is buffering every 10-15 secs for about  2-3 secs

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi sandman112,

Thank you for your post on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you were experiencing problems with the iPlayer app via your TiVo box on Sunday. I apologise, as well, for the delay in getting back to you. I'll look into this if you are still having the same issue.

I have been able to access your account via your Forum details and run testing to your equipment. Everything to your TiVo looks good at the moment. Are you still getting the buffering problem on your iPlayer? 

Please let me know.

Kind regards,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
amills100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue. Such a pain. Did the engineer resolve your problem?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi amills100,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your television service. I can see by your other post that your iPlayer is slow and buffering quite a bit. 

I've been able to run remote testing to your equipment and can see a problem with your TiVo®. I'd like to arrange an engineer visit so that we can get this fixed for you.

I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Liz73ard
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I'm having exactly the same issue, we've only just had Virgin installed. Can someone tell us what the issue is with ours? Our previous internet never had these issues? Thanks
0 Kudos
dangerrous
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've had my TiVo box for a while now after being convinced by the sales team that it would be in my benefit. I'm a little disappointed with this unit when comparing it to my original Virgin HD box. Everything is slow whilst waiting for all the advertising spill to load up on the top of the page. Then VOD or catch up is abysmal, constant buffering with iplayer when it finally loads up. My partner has a TiVo box still in it's box due how slow mine is at every action and the less than perfect tv guide. Would it be possible to go back to my last hd box that's in the 'saved gadgets spare room'

regards

Darren

amills100
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I agree that the TiVo box is incredibly slow. A real disappointment when compared to any of our Sky boxes.
0 Kudos