Menu
Timrobins60
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Connecting to another TiVo in another house

Hi, I have a mother with dementia, who is now struggling to remember how to change channels on her TV. She has a TiVo box, and I wondered if there was a way that I could connect to her box and change channel for her? She lives about 15 miles away from me.

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
BjjBjjBjj
Settling in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting to another TiVo in another house

You can use the remote app either TVAnywhere or there is a windows app, the issue is you need to be on the same network as the TiVo box.

If the other house has internet then you could setup a PC, smartphone or tablet, any cheap one will do, then use a remote viewer such as TeamViewer to connect to the other device that is on the same network and change channels. You could even set up a webcam app to check that the TV has changed channel or discretely keep an eye on your mother, with her permission.

0 Kudos
Timrobins60
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Many thanks, I will look in to that as an option.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Timrobins60
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
BjjBjjBjj
Settling in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can use the remote app either TVAnywhere or there is a windows app, the issue is you need to be on the same network as the TiVo box.

If the other house has internet then you could setup a PC, smartphone or tablet, any cheap one will do, then use a remote viewer such as TeamViewer to connect to the other device that is on the same network and change channels. You could even set up a webcam app to check that the TV has changed channel or discretely keep an eye on your mother, with her permission.

0 Kudos
amarkr2000
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slingbox is an option, connect to the host tivo and the internet and the output is then available to watch anywhere on a tablet app or browser on PC.  It also lets the box be able to be controlled remotely, although there can be a bit of a lag between sending commands and seeing the channel change etc. 

0 Kudos
Timrobins60
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Many thanks, I will look in to that as an option.

0 Kudos