Menu
manamaga
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connecting soundbar

I'm thinking of buying a soundbar. My question is, what's the best way to hook it up. I currently have my TiVo box hooked up straight to the tv via HDMI cable. Sound bars can have HDMI or optical or both. I presume that one would connect the TiVo to the soundbar (via HDMI or optical connection) but then, how would I get the video to the tv?

Ta very much :-)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting soundbar

There are two options, optical to sound bar from tivo and HDMI from tivo to TV or HDMI from Tivo to soundbar and HDMI out from Soundbar to TV, both have advantages and disadvantages

If you go the optical route you have to connect your DVD player PS3 ect with a separate optical and HDMI leads into the multiple inputs in the sound bar and TV, also the optical out on the Tivo is currently bugged

If you connect via the HDMI all your devices work on one input into the TV and one output channels from the soundbar but the TV has to give the TV a handshake signal and if the soundbar fails to pass this on correctly you won't get a picture 

0 Kudos
manamaga
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We're very minimalistic in that we only have the tv and the TiVo box, no DVD or games console. One of the options would require the soundbar to have two HDMI ports would it not?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

1 in 1 out, if it's got an in port it will have an out port

0 Kudos
manamaga
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Forgot to mention. Our tv also has an optical port if that changes the game at all?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you can go Tivo to TV via HDMI the TV to soundbar  optical but most TV's won't pass through dolby this way though it can get rid of lip sync issues

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

manamaga wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a soundbar. My question is, what's the best way to hook it up. I currently have my TiVo box hooked up straight to the tv via HDMI cable. Sound bars can have HDMI or optical or both. I presume that one would connect the TiVo to the soundbar (via HDMI or optical connection) but then, how would I get the video to the tv?

Also be aware, if you have the Samsung Tivo (check the version number on the system info page) then optical output no longer works. If you have the Cisco, then the problem is still problematic in terms of losing sound quite often, particularly if you watch live tv.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

manamaga wrote:

Also be aware, if you have the Samsung Tivo (check the version number on the system info page) then optical output no longer works. If you have the Cisco, then the problem is still problematic in terms of losing sound quite often, particularly if you watch live tv.

VM please do not phone me again to discuss my posts. I have not welcomed or invited such an intrusion.

? I have a cisco never lost sound over live TV

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

Also be aware, if you have the Samsung Tivo (check the version number on the system info page) then optical output no longer works.

It does work - but you currently have to change the audio format to PCM, rather than Dolby Digital

How do I fix sound and video problems on my TiVo box?

No sound on some recordings

If you're getting no sound on recordings from some HD channels when using external sound equipment connected via an optical connection, like an amp or surround sound system, change the audio setting from Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital to PCM.

To change this setting on your TiVo box, press Home on your TiVo remote then select Help & Settings > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital > Dolby Digital to PCM.

If you have an HDMI input on your external sound equipment, you may find changing to this connection also restores sound.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
1701-e
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've got Tivo to TV via HDMI and Tivo to soundbar via optical - works a treat with no sync issued.
0 Kudos