Menu
Bigdaddy1981
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Connecting home cinema system

Hi, I have just bought an LG surround sound system which has 1 hdmi port, my LG TV has 2 hdmi ports. How do I connect my surround sound system to my virgin Tivo & ps3. Do I need to buy any cables so that they are all connected?
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting home cinema system

Can we have model numbers please?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Bigdaddy1981
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The TV model number is 42LD450 & the surround sound model number is DH4430P. Before I had the surround sound I had the ps3 and the Tivo box connected direct to the TV by hdmi connections.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I should have asked also:

What is the intended use?   TV programme sound fed to the DH4430P (I don't think it can do that)?  Video Outputs from the DH4430P fed to the TV?

As I read the specs, the HDMI connection to the TV is an output from the DH4430P.  With only two HDMI ports on the TV, you would need a switching device to select HDMI from the PS3 or the DH4430P.

0 Kudos
Bigdaddy1981
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I was hoping to have all 3 connected, a switcher between the Tivo box & the ps3 would be fine so that whatever is being used would be in surround sound. Would I need an rca cable to go from the ps3 or Tivo into the cinema system?
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A pity that you didn't answer my questions as to what you want to do with the DH4430P. It's often difficult to help remotely without full context.

Maybe I've read the various specs wrong, but I don't see how the TIVO would connect to the DH4430P. My TIVO doesn't have any RCA ports. You can provide RCA inputs from the PS3 to the DH4430P. PS3 will then output HDMI video to the TV and RCA audio to the can output HDMI video and RCA audio to the DH4430P at the same time.

0 Kudos
Bigdaddy1981
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My apologies, I thought I had answered your question. I wanted to connect to Tivo to the home cinema or the other way round so that normal TV could be watched in surround sound as well as connecting up the PS3
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I hope someone can correct me - but I don't see any audio outputs from the TV other than Optical which appears not to be an input on the DH4430P. In other words normal TV cannot be given surround sound with the equipment you have.  I really do hope I'm wrong.

Other than optical, the TV only has inputs. No RCA out.  The DH4430P only has one input, which is an RCA pair.

That said you can procure an optical to digital convertor.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=digital+optical-to-rca+converter&tag=googhydr-21&index=a...

That may well get audio out to the DH4430P.

0 Kudos
Bigdaddy1981
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.

I've also got a ps4 which I'll will eventually want to swap over from the ps3 once I have finished the games I have on the ps3. What cable will I need to get to connect the ps4 to the surround sound. Also what specs would I be looking for on a TV when it comes to buying a new one to get everything connected up?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As said above, for the TiVo, PS3 and the PS4, you'll need to convert the optical output to a stereo RCA signal. There is no way of getting a surround sound signal from an external device into your LG Blu Ray system - it wasn't designed to do that.

You would need a system like this http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-LHB745 which has HDMI inputs, to allow for different devices to be connected, and HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) which allows for sound to be passed back from a compatible TV to the surround sound system from whatever the TV is displaying at the time
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos