Menu
SBar
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Connecting TiVo

Hello guys!

I have just upgraded my broadband contract to "Full House" and got a TiVo box.  Now, my Bband wall socket is in an opposite corner to my TV, so I can not connect TiVo to it with those short cables and need an engineer to lay a long cable along the walls.  

Virgin customer service and technicians keep telling me that I do not need to connect TiVo to the internet with a cable, because, I quote "there is already the Internet in the TiVo box" and "because there is a modem in the TiVo box".  

OK. I asked them if it can then wirelessly connect to the Internet?

She says: "No, it already has the Internet inside" (I kid you not).  

I checked the installation manual, I checked the Virgin video manual - both say quite clearly: I need to connect my TiVo box with a cable to the Virgin broadband socket.  

Yet THREE Virgin people (or to put it short Virgins) told me that I do not need it to connect it to Bband because it can by some magic work on its own... 

Can anyone please explain it to me?  How do you connect your TiVo? If it can somehow work connected to the arial, why then the instruction tells me to connect it to band socket?

Thank you.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting TiVo

TiVo requires a connection to the co-ax to provide the TV channels and to provide TiVo's own internet connection which it uses to provide service to a number of apps, such as BBC iPlayer, YouTube and Netflix.

In normal operation, TiVo does not require a connection to your Superhub.

0 Kudos
zvonok
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SBar wrote:

Hello guys!

I have just upgraded my broadband contract to "Full House" and got a TiVo box.  Now, my Bband wall socket is in an opposite corner to my TV, so I can not connect TiVo to it with those short cables and need an engineer to lay a long cable along the walls.  

Virgin customer service and technicians keep telling me that I do not need to connect TiVo to the internet with a cable, because, I quote "there is already the Internet in the TiVo box" and "because there is a modem in the TiVo box".  

OK. I asked them if it can then wirelessly connect to the Internet?

She says: "No, it already has the Internet inside" (I kid you not).  

I checked the installation manual, I checked the Virgin video manual - both say quite clearly: I need to connect my TiVo box with a cable to the Virgin broadband socket.  

Yet THREE Virgin people (or to put it short Virgins) told me that I do not need it to connect it to Bband because it can by some magic work on its own... 

Can anyone please explain it to me?  How do you connect your TiVo? If it can somehow work connected to the arial, why then the instruction tells me to connect it to band socket?

=======================================================================

If you want an engineer to put in a new/longer cable to your TiVo - I think it is £99?

Far cheaper is:

a) Leave your Tivo where it is now and connected to you VM cable

b) Buy a long HDMI cable and connect it from the TiVo to your TV wherever that is in the room - Hiding it en-route.

* Remember that you will need to point remote at TiVo to change channels etc etc...

... ZVNK ...

0 Kudos
SBar
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that was what they told me - they are installing a broadband cable only and I would need to pay for an additional cable to my TiVo.  

I then asked them if I can have my broadband cable extended to my TV corner for free and they said that would be not a problem at all.  

So I will move my hub to my TV. Looks like a reasonable option. What do you think?  

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As Ernie_C said above "In normal operation, TiVo does not require a connection to your Superhub."

So what are you hoping to achieve?  I have mine connected to my network, although it is in a different room from the hub, but only because I want to be able to watch recordings on either my Tivo or V6.

I am surprised that VM are going to be doing this for you as it is normally the customer's responsibility.

Unless, of course, it is a V6 box rather than a Tivo. Can you clarify?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
SBar
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No it is not V6, just a TiVo box.  

I am really sorry for silly questions, but I just can not understand some simple things here.  

If it does not need to be connected to the Hub,  does it need to be connected to the Virgin Media wall socket? 

The custom service told me that all I need was plug it in, connect to the TV with a HDMI cable and that is it.  If that is the case, the only digital source for TiVo is the TV itself.  I currently have a Sky box, which at least has it own satellite dish,  TiVo does not have even that. What is the point then of having TiVo, if I have a Smart TV with all the apps and channels? To record/delay programmes?  

How do you connect your TiVo to the network, if it is in the other room? It has no wireless connection as I was told...

What is the benefit of connecting TiVo to the Virgin wall socket as opposed to just connecting it to my TV ( as advised by VM) ? 

Sorry guys, I feel completely stupid.

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In order to function the TiVo needs to be connected, via coax, to the cable coming into your house from Virgin; the hub also needs to be connected to this cable so the engineer will use a splitter and run 2 cables (1 to your TiVo and one to the hub).

If you wish to use the TVAnywhere app or website to control your Tivo then the TiVo needs to be connected to your network - this is achieved via ethernet cable or Powerline plugs.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Again as said above "TiVo requires a connection to the co-ax to provide the TV channels and to provide TiVo's own internet connection".

It would seem that you are not in a position to do a self-install so can you confirm that VM are sending an engineer? The VM cable that carries the internet connection in to your home, the co-ax mentioned above, also carries your TV signal. 

It would seem that the best solution would be for an engineer to move your current cable and the hub from the other side of the room to beside the TV.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
SBar
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes frank_gm, that is exactly was was agreed today. ( I just wonder why on Earth 3 different VM customer service persons, including a technician, told me that TiVo did not need to be connected to anything but my TV. They completely confused me).
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SBar wrote:
Yes frank_gm, that is exactly was was agreed today. ( I just wonder why on Earth 3 different VM customer service persons, including a technician, told me that TiVo did not need to be connected to anything but my TV. They completely confused me).

But, the way I read your initial post, you appeared to have been asking whether or not your Tivo had to be connected to the internet and the correct answer to that question is no. 

I would put it down to a mis-communication as you were possibly not asking the question that you thought you were asking and they thought they were giving the correct answer but not to the question you thought you were asking. Does that make sense?

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos