Menu
Barnes7
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connecting TiVo to tv to then dvd player

I connected my TiVo box today got it all activated and working great, I now find I can't connect the TiVo box to my Surround sound and I can play DVDs but have sound no picture
0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting TiVo to tv to then dvd player

Hi @Barnes7

I don't know what options you have for the surround sound (what model box, available connections etc) or how you had it connected before the Tivo arrived, so I will just tell you how my TV/Tivo/DVD/Soundbar is setup, and see if that helps you figure out your setup at all.

Tivo > TV (HDMI1)
Soundbar > TV(HDMI2/ARC)  (Audio Return Channel) - this is set to auto power-on with the TV.
DVD > TV (HDMI3)

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
Barnes7
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well after being on the phone till midnight trying to sort it virgin still didn't have a clue what to do so they told me to plug my old v+ box back in and send the TiVo box back which wasn't any help what so ever as now I still don't have picture for my DVD/surround sound I have sound but no picture I'm now wishing I hadn't nothing with the TiVo box at all as everything worked great before!
0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So how was it connected then? Something obviously hasn't been reconnected in the same way as before.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
Barnes7
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I haven't a clue and he didn't know either just told me to connect old one back and send TiVo box back plugged it all back in and all works perfectly I don't understand how one can work and the other don't.
Thank you anyway.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Barnes7,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble setting up your TiVo®.

Can you describe the full set up for me? How have you connected the surround sound, DVD player and TiVo® together?

Look forward to hearing from you!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Barnes7
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

I had the hdmi cable from TiVo box to tv then DVD to tv via hdmi lead and scart lead, have no options to connect TiVo to DVD player plus I get sound for DVD just no picture and no surround sound either. I had already called virgin and sat with them on the phone going over things and I even got asked had I put the cables in the right places when you only have one hole for each cable and being a tech they should of known that, after being on the phone for 2 hours talking to 2 different people they both didn't have a clue what to do all the guy on the phone suggested was I sent the TiVo box back! So I reconnected my old v+ box back up and got my DVD and surround sound working fine so I'm sticking to that as no one was prepared to help me just basically said it was me so I gave up.
0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

First of all, you shouldn't need HDMI & Scart between the DVD and TV.  Just one or the other (an HDMI would be a better bet - two cables may be confusing the issue).

Next, your Tivo will be on one of the HDMI inputs on your TV (probably HDMI1). You would need to switch your TV to input HDMI2 to see the picture on the DVD.,

Then, what is managing the surround sound (i.e where do your rear speakers connect?)  Is it direct to the TV, or is it to the DVD (in which case the surround sound is probably only going to be active when watching a DVD).

If your DVD player is providing surround sound, does that have an option to have another (HDMI) system input?  If it does, then try connecting the Tivo to this (not the TV), change the audio settings on the Tivo from "Dolby Digital to PCM" to "Dolby Digital."  You might find that you actually need an optical cable (as well) between the Tivo & DVD to provide surround sound.

If you provided model numbers (and/or photos of the connections) of the equipment, it might be easier to advise. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Barnes7,

I'm really sorry for the experience you've had.

As Argy has mentioned, you should only need one connection between the DVD and the TV.

You should have one HDMI between the TV and TiVo®, one HDMI between the TV and the DVD.

What connection does your surround use? If it's got an Optical out, you can connect it directly to the TiVo®.

Look forward to hearing from you!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos