Menu
otrabrit
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Connecting TIVO box to an older TV

Hi

I just bought a previously owned KLV-L32M1 television from the British Heart Foundation which is in perfect working order (checked by them, working in showroom and six months warranty included.)

I have Virgin Media TV/Broadband and my current (22"HDMI) TV has an HDMI connector from the TV to a USB type connector on the TIVO set top box.

I appreciate this Sony model was made in 2005 (says so on back of it) and I can see there is no HDMI socket.

So minor panic here as I am not very technically minded BUT am I right in thinking the connection will work with a SCART connector to the TV and at the TIVO box end a  USB type connector (as at present) ??

If so are they readily available would anyone know.

ALSO I have seen much forum debate online as to whether this SONY  set is HD "ready". the general view is that it is NOT which doesn't bother me that much, as I'm just after a larger picture, BUT some people do suggest that a connection CAN be made to provide HD.

Are you able to advise on that please.

I love the look of the set so hopefully all will be OK.

Have a good weekend.

0 Kudos
vida
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting TIVO box to an older TV

The Tivo box has a Scart socket so you just need a regular Scart lead to connect the TV to the Tivo box.

I think by "USB type connector" you mean a HDMI cable, especially as you say your current smaller TV does have a HDMI socket.

Although the Tivo box does have USB inputs on the back, I don't believe HDMI-to-USB would work and, frankly, there'd be no need as you'd just use a regular HDMI cable.

Whilst you can get Scart to HDMI converters there really would be no point as your new TV is incapable of displaying a HD picture - see http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=248260

So you might just as well go Scart-to-Scart.

Hope that helps

Dave

0 Kudos
otrabrit
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting TIVO box to an older TV

That is great news Dave and thank you for such a prompt response. All makes sense now !!!

Derek

0 Kudos