Menu
johnaallan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Come back Teletext !!!!!!

Some months ago I switched to TiVo from the old Vplus service - what a mistake! Unless I am missing something, the only way to access news bulletins is via BBC Iplayer, which takes ages, when it's is working and is the most user unfriendly piece of new technology which I have encountered in donkey's years. Really, Virgin, do you think this is an improvement? I used to be able to enjoy a relaxing evening watching TV - now all I get is serious earache listening to my wife complaining about how I am responsible for burdening her with this totally worthless service.

Perhaps a switch to Sky is fast approaching.

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Come back Teletext !!!!!!

have you tried pressing the Red Button when there's an err, Red Button appearing on the top right hand of the screen?

we're now in the world of the BBC "connected red button" - I'd expect all platforms will be like this eventually

0 Kudos
johnaallan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's where the main problem is. It takes ages to access and once your are in, (even when it is working) the menu system is a minefield compared with the previous one and takes ages to work through.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's a BBC designed interface though. Might be worth a complaint to them

0 Kudos
johnaallan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

OK , but how come its so much worse with TiVo than it was on the old Vplus system. Also what happened to the previous text only news service which was quicker and more user friendly?

Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The old vplus system wasn't the same as TiVo. It's entirely the BBC's decision to deliver it this way on TiVo. All platforms will have it eventually we just happened to get it first. I player and all its function snow comes direct from the BBC whereas before (v+) came from bbc via virgin as I understand it. 

johnaallan wrote:

OK , but how come its so much worse with TiVo than it was on the old Vplus system. Also what happened to the previous text only news service which was quicker and more user friendly?

0 Kudos
Chrissiej31
Up to speed
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to break this to you but teletext shut down several months ago. In fact there isn't any such service broadcasting anymore as OFCOM revoked their licence.
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Chrissiej31 wrote:
Sorry to break this to you but teletext shut down several months ago. In fact there isn't any such service broadcasting anymore as OFCOM revoked their licence.

There you go! That's why the BBC created the new platform. Thanks Chrissiej31

0 Kudos
Chrissiej31
Up to speed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I remembered the day it shut off - it was quite sad. It was my saving grace at 4am when the baby wouldn't stop crying and there was nothing else on the TV!

you are welcome!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Chrissiej31 wrote:

Dont confuse Teletext as per the TV information system with TELETEXT LTD the company. It was the company's service (operating on ITV & CH4) that was closed down by OFCOM, not the technology. Teletext was analogue, so was killed off by the Digital Switchover, as digital TV has far more efficient ways of transmitting data then using the "spare" lines on the old analogue picture.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos