Menu
Browser01
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Class Action lawsuit

Too many "updates" have seriously disabled Virgin Media's tivo box so that many of its advertised features no longer work and the response time on many of its functions are unacceptably slow.

As usual silence is the official response.....what problem? Tivo is the best way to access all your favourites. Tivo gives you access to X Y Z. Well we the consumers don't think so. In my experience it has always been a hit and miss basic service for which we pay a premium price.

For several years VM have acknowleged that there is a problem with congestion in their cable service infrastructure.

They will happily inform you that you live in an area which is not functioning properly due to what they euphemistically call "utilisation" problems. So now after they tell you that you can't have what you are paying for due to utilisation on their increasingly congested network, you are expected to say nothing and keep paying for your premium priced contract.

The VM forum team and moderators official line is that as there are only a "few people posting" it must be something not set up right in the individual tivo box. Due to "lack of evidence" they work on the false assumption that the great majority of their boxes are working as advertised.

Is it time to instigate a "class action" lawsuit against VM who charge us for access to products which they cannot provide and we cannot use?

I would think that there could possibly be a strong case for, at the very least, fraudulent advertising and non fulfillment of contract.

Any lawyers out there prepared to confirm this?

0 Kudos
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Class Action lawsuit

I totally sympathise with your annoyance.

If you were complaining about the roads, the water supply or the local council, then fair enough - there is no realistic alternative to these.

But in this case, there are many other providers available (although not all in some geographical areas). I'm willing to wager that if you have Virgin then you could also get Sky, BT, TalkTalk, etc etc - because in remote locations it is Virgin that is the least likely to exist because of the cost of new fibre installation.

I know nothing about the law, but my first reaction to poor service is to vote with my feet, not to consider legal action.

I am still with VM because (after initial unreliability) the broadband speed and resilience is now satisfactory; the phone service is OK, and I now have a monthly bill that is comparable to other suppliers. I was irritated by the way it was creeping up, but I took action.

To me, the Tivo box is the biggest problem with VM's offering. I don't believe its slowness is because of network speed. It is down to crappy software design and inefficient programming above all else.

One day (possible soon), I may decide to jump ship. But initially I am trying to see whether I can polish this **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I will wager that whatever you do to try improving tivo's performance it will have been tried before to no avail.

On the subject of Class Action I believe that many customers signed their contracts with VM on the basis of which services were advertised and not by choosing a preferred supplier.

A consumer can get Netflix for instance through many devices however VM said it was accessible through tivo. This appears not to be the case in many instances as a search of these forums will attest.

0 Kudos
joncbee
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Netflix does work through Tivo!

Go to channel 204, press red button and then make a cup of tea, have a bath, feed the cat and when you come back, it should have loaded.

After that long wait, it then works OK, but obviously only if you have paid the subscription.

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your comments but, without sarcasm, in many cases VM does seem to contravene the claims made in their advertising and on their website.

So I assume you are joking but maybe you secretly work for vm : )

Surely nobody could justify the claim that this overloaded box can, be described as being fit for purpose in the advertised way?

This is why I have asked whether there are any legal eagles out there who are prepared to make an informed comment.

0 Kudos