Menu
kenat79
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cisco Tivo Box

I upgraded my Tivo 500gb box (Samsung) to a 1TB Box on Saturday and noticed it was a Cisco version - was made a couple of years ago (date underneath) but the difference is amazing. It goes between menus quickly, loads up iPlayer in about 5 seconds and even Netflix loads relatively fast - so does this mean the current Samsung models are under spec processor/disk access/memory (do they have an ram?).

Maybe Virgin should go back to Cisco for their supplier?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cisco Tivo Box

No, you just have a completely empty TiVo.

For example, you have no Thumbs set - the current workaround to performance issues is to clear Thumbs.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, you just have a completely empty TiVo.

For example, you have no Thumbs set - the current workaround to performance issues is to clear Thumbs.

Boris1612
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I transferred all my settings from a Samsung tivo to the Cisco and the Cisco is way faster full stop.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Boris1612 wrote:
I transferred all my settings from a Samsung tivo to the Cisco and the Cisco is way faster full stop.

I agree. In my experience with several Tivos, the Ciscos were always better performers that the Samsungs. When I had my V6 installed in January I ensured that the engineer took away my Samsung and left my Cisco.

Unfortunately my Cisco died a couple of weeks ago and was replaced by a Samsung. Even empty it is noticeably slower than the Cisco.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have 6 year old Cisco and it is terrible... slow as a virgin snail
0 Kudos
Fuzzyuk
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Switch off the mains at the back of the set and reboot (Takes 3.5 minutes to restore after switching on again). That will speed it up a bit but it might revert back to snail pace after a few days. I get the impression the box was faster when I had less programs stored on it.

0 Kudos