Menu
hippyjim
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Choosing time for a series link

I'm attempting to record a show that's shown at primetime, and also at 10am the following day.

I try to set the series link to record a specific time, but there's no option.

I chose "new and reruns", but when I accept the settings it still tells me it's going to clip lots of other shows. I don't want them to clip when there's no need to do so!

Anyone know how I record it when I want, other than setting the recording manually every week?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Choosing time for a series link

With TiVo, you just have to let it schedule the programs. Set up series links and TiVo will record the first broadcast that does not clash with other programs recorded at the same time.

You should set Overlap Protection to No to avoid the clipping. This will cause the re-scheduling of the lowest priority program.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With TiVo, you just have to let it schedule the programs. Set up series links and TiVo will record the first broadcast that does not clash with other programs recorded at the same time.

You should set Overlap Protection to No to avoid the clipping. This will cause the re-scheduling of the lowest priority program.

0 Kudos
hippyjim
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

Unfortunately with overlap protection off it warns me that multiple shows will not record - all of which are at the times I don't want it recording. It's just not going to record this show when I want it to.

I'm just going to have to record it manually each week - once again showing the Virgin TiVo to be a much poorer cousin to the real thing.

Thanks anyway

0 Kudos
hippyjim
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried setting the series link anyway, and it seems to be recording *some* of the episodes at the right time, but not others. It just makes no sense - especially after it told me it wasn't going to record at all.

At this point I fully expect it to drop all the other programmes as well. Surely it can't be this difficult to *schedule* a regular recording? Is there no way to say "always record this channel at this time, daily"?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

With TiVo you have to stop wanting to record a program at a particular time.

Let TiVo do its job and record the programs when they can be recorded and watch them at your leisure.

TiVo is great at finding repeats of programs and recording them.

hippyjim
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If by finding repeats you mean recording the same movie over and over, I agree. Other than that, not so much. The Virgin system is an extremely hobbled version of the real TiVo - you can't even use the web interface (apart from the semi-usable "tvanywhere" website) or copy your recordings from it. As an interface designer and usability consultant, I'm appalled by how hard it all is to use. 

If I set a series link and it shows me a list of the next few episodes and tells me it's not going to record them, then I have to believe it won't record them. If it's telling me it's not recording, I then assume I have to set the recordings myself - which defeats the point.

As it happens it was late last night when I attempted this so I gave up and left the series link set up. As I look at the updated list of scheduled recordings today it seems to have covered every episode, but always seems to favour the busiest times, instead of the quietest. So despite telling me it wasn't recording my show, it is. Having a user interface plainly lie to you isn't very helpful!

The result is that I don't trust the series link system at all. I have no way of knowing what will record, and what won't. I'm not psychic - I can only go with what's displayed on the screen. I think I'm going to manually schedule things as that way I know where I'm up to. So I'm paying for a system to schedule things for me, and then doing the work myself. Yet another case of a user working around a badly designed UI.

Thanks anyway.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

'An extremely hobbled version of the real TiVo' - the Virgin Media implementation of the season pass, the series link uses exactly the same logic, it has to.

'an interface designer and usability consultant' - your thoughts on TiVo do not match my needs as a user. It suits my needs perfectly, using it as it is meant to be used. With your skills, you would manually set recordings for when you feel is best?

0 Kudos
hippyjim
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's not so much my "skills" as my desire to record a show.

It told me it wasn't going to record that episode at all. So I believed I had to set a recording manually. Later I discovered the information it gave was false (assuming the scheduled recordings list can be trusted).

If you press a button to open a door, and the door doesn't open, you try the handle, right? You don't just walk forward and hope not to hit your face against the wood.

This is just about TV, not life saving surgery, so I hope my comments haven't upset anyone. I was hoping for a feature it seems isn't available. Thanks for confirming that to be the case and for the tip about overlap protection - I suspect that's what triggered the reschedule and ensured I don't miss my show.

Lorian
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've just come up against the same problem where I've tried to record a series on a different day to it's first airing and the Tivo won't let me.  I'm in this position because of programmes I want to see overlapping.  I keep Overlap Protection on because in the past I've missed either the start or the end of programmes if left to standard recording. 

The answer given above is turn off Overlap Protection and the Tivo box will chose when to record the programme.  That's fine if you could rely on the standard recording mode to record ALL of the programme but in my experience you can't.

I used to be able to select the day and time on my old V+HD box and that's a facility I would like to see on the Tivo.  How I wish I could have had a V+HD box with a 1TB hard disk.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Lorian wrote:

I've just come up against the same problem where I've tried to record a series on a different day to it's first airing and the Tivo won't let me.  I'm in this position because of programmes I want to see overlapping.  I keep Overlap Protection on because in the past I've missed either the start or the end of programmes if left to standard recording. 

The answer given above is turn off Overlap Protection and the Tivo box will chose when to record the programme.  That's fine if you could rely on the standard recording mode to record ALL of the programme but in my experience you can't.

I used to be able to select the day and time on my old V+HD box and that's a facility I would like to see on the Tivo.  How I wish I could have had a V+HD box with a 1TB hard disk.

If you want to be able to select the day and time yourself then set up a manual recording, that basically emulates the V+ way of recording. Personally I was delighted when VM recently replaced my second box, a V+, with a Tivo.

I avoided the V+ because it was so awful while my original Tivo has handled recordings with few problems over the five years since it was installed. The new one does the same.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos