Menu
YankeeCandleBoy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Channel Agreements

Hi All,
After being a Sky customer for many years, I finally decided to try out Virgin Media and I am so pleased I did. I actually prefer the TiVo box overall and find it a much better user experience. The only downfall is there are so many channels not on the VM platform. MTV Classics/Xmas, Sony Movie Channel, Disney HD etc. I'm really hoping they will be added in the future? The whole TiVo layout, guides, series link plus is so much better than Sky. Coupled with blistering broadband speed, the whole VM experience has so far been a far superior offering. Just need these missing channels added to the platform!!!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Channel Agreements

The channels available are dependent on their owners wanting or affording to join another platform. Also some channels have signed exclusive agreements with individual platforms & are not available elsewhere. Also you will notice Sky Atlantic is missing, as Sky refuses to provide the channel outside their own platform.

The other difference with what you are used too is that Satellite is an open platform, of which Sky is only a small part. Most of the free channels sign agreements directly with the satellite operator, & have nothing to do with Sky. Virgin in contrast is a closed platform, & all the costs of distributing the channels through their core network, regional headends & then local networks have to be absorbed by charging the channels that join, not to mention us, the customers.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The channels available are dependent on their owners wanting or affording to join another platform. Also some channels have signed exclusive agreements with individual platforms & are not available elsewhere. Also you will notice Sky Atlantic is missing, as Sky refuses to provide the channel outside their own platform.

The other difference with what you are used too is that Satellite is an open platform, of which Sky is only a small part. Most of the free channels sign agreements directly with the satellite operator, & have nothing to do with Sky. Virgin in contrast is a closed platform, & all the costs of distributing the channels through their core network, regional headends & then local networks have to be absorbed by charging the channels that join, not to mention us, the customers.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

YankeeCandleBoy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Very much appreciated.
Let's hope with the latest Virgin TV developments, it entices new channels to the platform.
0 Kudos