Menu
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Catch up

We've only been with Virgin Media for 5 days but are already finding it frustrating to be able to watch catch up programs ( if more than 7 days old ) I wasn't aware that you could only get the last 7 days on catch up!

My Son just searched for Ben Fogle . Life in the Wilds and a list of about six episodes shows up going back to early November but when he tried to play any of them it won't allow you to play any of the older ones but tells you it will be available on January 4th 2017!!!

Equally,I wanted to watch the first two episodes of 'In Plain Sight' only last night's is available.

Yet on the ITV hub through your PC you can watch the last three episodes.I'm terribly disappointed Virgin already!!!

Steve

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Catch up

It depends what level of catch-up ITV have chosen to make available to VM - likely they'll want people to be using their own website so they receive the advertising revenue.

With a TiVo, it's best to get into the habit of recording everything - something the box is very good at. Appreciably if you've only just joined there will be things which you've not had the opportunity to record, but in going forward things should be rather better. You can use the Series Link+ (or the search) to let you find other episodes from the various on demand services which you may have missed, but they too are similarly limited by the available content from the broadcasters.

If you're new to TiVo, these may explain things a little more clearly:

Why can't the BBC keep to their schedules...

Why do I have to record reminders?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you're having wifi connection issues then it may be that your son needs to try a wired connection (if that's possible).

If you want a reminder to watch something live, then you can set that, and a tuner will be reserved so that you can do.

The other way to approach it is to set a series link for everything you want to watch, and then just watch the recording from My Shows when it starts. You'll definitely have it available to watch if you don't remember it's on, and if it is, you can just delete it when the broadcast finishes.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's good to hear it's an improvement on previous!

Exactly as you are doing Smiley Happy

Remind and Record will do just that - display an on screen reminder, as well as scheduling it to record; the longer explanation for why is in the second of the two links I posted above.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It depends what level of catch-up ITV have chosen to make available to VM - likely they'll want people to be using their own website so they receive the advertising revenue.

With a TiVo, it's best to get into the habit of recording everything - something the box is very good at. Appreciably if you've only just joined there will be things which you've not had the opportunity to record, but in going forward things should be rather better. You can use the Series Link+ (or the search) to let you find other episodes from the various on demand services which you may have missed, but they too are similarly limited by the available content from the broadcasters.

If you're new to TiVo, these may explain things a little more clearly:

Why can't the BBC keep to their schedules...

Why do I have to record reminders?

0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you 'Printer Elf' for your helpful reply. I hope you had a good Christmas.

Having just joined Virgin media,it was a bit disconcerting to read those posts about members who had been happy with Virgin for 20 years and now finding their service isn't as good as it used to be.

I was with Sky for 18 yrs and probably empathise with those subscribers and hope I'm wrong but at the end of the day both Sky and Virgin are 'much of a muchness' One of the main reasons I was drawn to Virgin was because I believed using its own fibre line would give a more reliable broadband than Sky's through a BT line but it's early days.I still think my son gets 'drop outs' from time to time in wi fi connectivity although at least because we receive 200 mbps he says a program loads very fast before it drops out.I have also heard that Virgin's service is at it's limit because of the number of subscibers and therefore this would slow down the whole network.How true do you think this is?

I suppose I can / will have to accept all you say about Virgin's tuners ( 3 ) allowing one to record three programs whilst watching a fourth but I think recording two was enough on Sky and it was useful to be reminded that a program was about to start,because sometimes you just want to watch a program there and then rather than later that day or the next and so on.

Best wishes for a happy new Year

Steve

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you're having wifi connection issues then it may be that your son needs to try a wired connection (if that's possible).

If you want a reminder to watch something live, then you can set that, and a tuner will be reserved so that you can do.

The other way to approach it is to set a series link for everything you want to watch, and then just watch the recording from My Shows when it starts. You'll definitely have it available to watch if you don't remember it's on, and if it is, you can just delete it when the broadcast finishes.

0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi PrinterElf

Thank you once again for your advice.

Spoke to my Son last evening when asking him if everything was generally ok with connectivity. He seemed to be very satisfied that Virgin's broadband was far more stable than Sky's ever was. I had suggested to him that we could connect a long Ethernet cable from his X box to the router and we could if necessary connect those powerline adapters but at the moment he seems quite happy. I don't know how though if he wanted his phone to be connected to the router during a 'drop out' he might be able to do this except he might have to rely on his phone provider's data for this use

Sorry to be ignorant but how would I /where would I find how to set a tuner if I wanted to be reminded live?

I only know how to highlight the section of the menu which says 'record and remind' and of course your advice about series link

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's good to hear it's an improvement on previous!

Exactly as you are doing Smiley Happy

Remind and Record will do just that - display an on screen reminder, as well as scheduling it to record; the longer explanation for why is in the second of the two links I posted above.

0 Kudos