Menu
spangled
Tuning in
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Catch-up using TiVO box very slow

Accessing Catch-Up shows using my TiVo box is very slow.

It takes an age to scroll through the menus and when I finally select a programme it can sometimes take 2 or 3 mins for the programme to start.

Is there anything I can do or test on my TiVo box before I brave call centre hell??

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
japitts
Well-informed
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Catch-up using TiVO box very slow

Fair enough, in which case I also find those menus painfully slow but tend not to use them. Try using Home > Search & Explore > Key in "Topsy & Tim" and see if that's any quicker a route. Then once the app has loaded, which can take a few minutes for the first time each day, there's no need to exit it to view other content. Clicking "left" in the program will bring up other episodes in the same series.

All Replies
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Are you navigating what I would call the "legacy" menus, i.e. Home > Catch Up > All by (whatever)? Or using TiVo "search and explore"? Or better still, the reverse EPG?

When you say it takes a few minutes to load programs, is this across all channels or only some? I'm thinking here, that the BBC Catchup content is app-based whereas everyone else is "video on demand".

0 Kudos
spangled
Tuning in
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi japitts.

Yes, I am navigating via the "legacy" menus: Home > Catch Up > All by Kids etc

Usually my kids say "We want to watch 'Topsy & Tim'" so I navigate to that programme via the route above.

And yes, it's usually BBC content that is the slowest.

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Fair enough, in which case I also find those menus painfully slow but tend not to use them. Try using Home > Search & Explore > Key in "Topsy & Tim" and see if that's any quicker a route. Then once the app has loaded, which can take a few minutes for the first time each day, there's no need to exit it to view other content. Clicking "left" in the program will bring up other episodes in the same series.

spangled
Tuning in
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'll try that japitts.

The main reason I use those legacy menus is that also - again, when searching for kids programmes - the kids don't always know what they want to watch (ie Search & Explore is no good) and prefer to just browse through the list of what's available. And that browsing is very slow.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi spangled

Thanks for your post regarding the issues with your TiVo® Catch-Up service and my apologies it's not working as expected for you.

I can see you've had the TiVo® box for a while now.  Can you let me know if this has always been as slow to respond or have you noticed this has changed recently?

There are no known issues regarding this that we are aware of and I've checked your TiVo® box this morning but it appears to be on standby so this doesn't give us any details to check on your behalf. 

If you could leave the TiVo® box on for us to check for 24 hrs we can run some tests just to check the functions are all within normal specifications for you.

Thanks again and speak soon.

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

beejayfox
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I understand that this is a known problem and all the more disappointing in the sense that before "buying" we were led to believe that Tivo represents an improvement over the "old" box. We want to use it to browse through programmes but menu system and slow response have severely disillusioned. Not good enough.

spangled
Tuning in
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Karen. Sorry, only just seen your reply. I will keep my TiVo box on for the next 24 hours or so.

TBH, it's been slow ever since I switched over to the TiVo box - the old box I had was way faster and accessing the menus much quicker (and more intuitive).

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi spangles,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I have been able to check out your box remotely and signal and power level wise all looks great.

I would like to ask, do you find this happens at all times or will this happen at various or specific times of the day?

If you can let me know I can help further, keep me posted.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
PedallingHulk
Settling in
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

My wife is close to throwing our TIVO box out of the window because the catch up is getting unusable at times now, particularly evenings (when you want to watch it most).

This has been getting steadily worse for months and affects mainly ITV as we try and catch up with Emmerdale and Coronation Street once the little ones have gone to bed (after 20:00 hrs).

Sometimes the 'By Channel' menu doesn't show any programmes for a specific day and if it does, when you select the programme, it just sits on the spinning progress timer and the programme never starts.

Last night, we even got a message on screen stating that the Catch-up service was unavailable and it continued to be this way for over 30 minutes!!

Tested programmes through the 'Guide' option and all channels showed the current programme as expected.  Also, 'My Shows' shows recorded programmes fine so it has to be Catch-up that is the problem.

Our 12 month contract ends in August and we WILL be moving to a competitor if this doesn't get sorted; my wife is certain about that.  I don't believe this is a problem with individual boxes.  My view is that this is an issue with either Virgin or the Channel or both.

Jim