Menu
norskyorkie
Up to speed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can you save contents of hard drive on failing tivo to anywhere?

Tivo is playing up and was looked at by VM forum watcher, it seems something is wrong with the hard drive, tech visit this afternoon, it looks like a new box to me.

I have stuff I've not watched and some I want to keep, is there any way I can save some of the stuff from the box to somewhere else?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can you save contents of hard drive on failing tivo to anywhere?

Alas no Regards Micky
0 Kudos
norskyorkie
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Though so, a major failing of the Tivo IMHO, especially as they seem to fail so much, this is my second.

The ability to clone a Tivo drive and save it to your PC so it can be re-installed on the new box seems a good idea which would keep customers happy.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

norskyorkie wrote:

Though so, a major failing of the Tivo IMHO, especially as they seem to fail so much, this is my second.

Do you have statistics to back this up? Your own experience is not neccessarily representative.

The ability to clone a Tivo drive and save it to your PC so it can be re-installed on the new box seems a good idea which would keep customers happy.

Maybe so but would the content providers be as pleased? They seem paranoid about viewers being able to copy their stuff.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
norskyorkie
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Judging by the posts on this forum there does seem a lot of problems with the Tivo although I suspect there are many times more who don't have any.

The Tech has just left and it was a new box, he said the same as you as to why content couldn't be copied, just waiting for the EPG to repopulate so I can replace my Series Links, digital cameras can be very useful for making a record of what's in it.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

norskyorkie wrote:

Judging by the posts on this forum there does seem a lot of problems with the Tivo although I suspect there are many times more who don't have any.

The Tech has just left and it was a new box, he said the same as you as to why content couldn't be copied, just waiting for the EPG to repopulate so I can replace my Series Links, digital cameras can be very useful for making a record of what's in it.

Since one of the primary functions of these forums is to report problems then that is not surprising.

It is the same on the Sky forums. When I was with Sky I had a problem with a box that needed replaced but that was done quickly and efficiently. Given the number of Sky and Virgin boxes currently installed then some are always likely to fail.

I manage corporate computer systems and most users would be surprised to know how often problems occur. However, they rarely see the problems because we have redundant systems but this is expensive and certainly not applicable to set top boxes.

Yet, despite the redundancy, sometimes problems occur that are more difficult get around. **it happens.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos