Menu
Matt42
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can the virgin router transmit to tv without a cable?

Hi,

Is this possible? The tv is now the other side of the house but has a direct line to the router. TV is smart and can access you tube etc so can it transmit the virgin tv as well rather than have a cable?

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can the virgin router transmit to tv without a cable?

I'm afraid not.

You can get wireless video senders of various types, including HDMI ones if you want HD, but you can't receive TV from the Superhub.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

...because Virgin Media provide a cable TV system, delivered through a co-ax connection, using a DVB-C protocol.

If you want to stream TV programs to your TV, get a streaming device, such as a Chromecast.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm afraid not.

You can get wireless video senders of various types, including HDMI ones if you want HD, but you can't receive TV from the Superhub.

Matt42
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That ridiculous, it's the 21st century for Petes sake. So I have to run the virgin cable for another 20 metres around side of my house, drill a hole through the wall to connect it up? There must be a solution, why doesnt the hub transmit tv?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

...because Virgin Media provide a cable TV system, delivered through a co-ax connection, using a DVB-C protocol.

If you want to stream TV programs to your TV, get a streaming device, such as a Chromecast.

0 Kudos
Matt42
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am looking into this now but do these chromecast etc have an EPG like virgin? I don't understand why I can't plug a transmitter dongle into the router and a receiver dongle in my tv to receive the tv signal. The tv receives app info like curzon, iplayer etc through streaming ok, I just need the additional virgin tv that I pay for.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Matt42 wrote:

I am looking into this now but do these chromecast etc have an EPG like virgin? I don't understand why I can't plug a transmitter dongle into the router and a receiver dongle in my tv to receive the tv signal. The tv receives app info like curzon, iplayer etc through streaming ok, I just need the additional virgin tv that I pay for.

You can't plug in a dongle because it's not designed to do that, the box is built to a budget and adding hdmi transmitting would add very significantly to the cost of the box

and chrome cast has no EPG it just transmits what's on your PC to the tv

0 Kudos