Menu
flashback2006
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can i revert back to the old box?

Have had Tivo for over a year now and it is absolutely vile. It is slow, unresponsive, records what it wants, and god forbid you press the red button by mistake. It is also a paid to stop recording a series or hunt one down.

I still have the old box upstairs thanks to multiroom and it is like a Ferrari vs Lada when compared to Tivo. Is there anyway i can get rid of this and replace it with the last (v+box HD).

My contract runs out with Virgin in august and if nothing can be done i think i'll be dropping the tv like a bad habit, which is a shame as i really like the company and the broadband they offer.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
flashback2006
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can i revert back to the old box?

Anyone?

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In the absence of a reply from VM,  I will try to help although it may no longer be an up to date answer.

As far as I know tivo is the flagship piece of tech that virgin have and ALL other boxes have been withdrawn from supply which is a shame.

Tivo looks and feels like 1980's kit and is by far the biggest 'chunk' of plastic on the shelf.

I am pretty sure that it is a lump it or leave it situation for you.

If you ring 150/151 however and choose the option to speak to somebody in retentions you might be offered a deal.

Phone+broadband is almost as expensive as phone+broadband+entry level tivo.

I am sure there are deals to be done whereby you can cut your bill and keep the tivo for use as a bog standard but adeqate PVR. B

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Browser01 wrote:

In the absence of a reply from VM,  I will try to help although it may no longer be an up to date answer.

As far as I know tivo is the flagship piece of tech that virgin have and ALL other boxes have been withdrawn from supply which is a shame.

Tivo looks and feels like 1980's kit and is by far the biggest 'chunk' of plastic on the shelf.

I am pretty sure that it is a lump it or leave it situation for you.

If you ring 150/151 however and choose the option to speak to somebody in retentions you might be offered a deal.

Phone+broadband is almost as expensive as phone+broadband+entry level tivo.

I am sure there are deals to be done whereby you can cut your bill and keep the tivo for use as a bog standard but adeqate PVR. B

Personally I was delighted when I got a free box swap late last year with a Tivo replacing the awful V+. I now use the replacement Tivo after avoiding the V+ for a long time.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Duck_19
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can sympathise with you flashback2006 - my Tivo too is very sluggish. I did wonder about reverting back at one point, but customer services said that all TV packages are now TiVo as standard Smiley Sad

According to an engineer I spoke to, they still carry V+HD boxes in the vans to replace customers still on an old package, however these can only be installed in the event of a current V+HD fault. Looks like you may have to put up with it or even leave VM for your TV service Smiley Sad

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can always swap your boxes over (put the V+ where the TiVO is installed). As above, the V+ is now only supplied as a fault replacement, as all boxes are now multiple refurb jobs, & the fail on install rate is fairly high.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
flashback2006
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for the replies.

I think I'll just knock virgin on the head in august when the contract is up, I don't see why I should pay 106 every month for a second rate product.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi flashback2006,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're having slow experiences with the TiVo®.  I'd like to carry out some checks to see if there are any underlying issues causing this.

I have had a look at your box remotely and all looks fine signal wise and there's no network issues present either which is good to see.

In regards to recordings, it sounds like the 'Suggestions' feature is turned on.  This can be turned off by following these steps:

HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > RECORDINGS > SUGGESTIONS > SELECT: NO, DON'T RECORD SUGGESTIONS

In addition suggestions doesn't take up any space on your hard drive as well so you don't need to worry about it utilising your hard drive space.

Back to the slow performance of the TiVo®, I'd like to know a bit more about what is running slowly, is it when you're changing channels, navigating the menu system, using the Apps or all?

If you can let me know, I can help further.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos