Menu
Clarebj
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can I delete channels?

I read an old post where someone in 2014 asked if there is a way to delete TiVo channels but there was only one answer and it didn't help me.

The answer given last year was to use Favourites to avoid having to skip over channels that are of no interest but my reason for wanting to delete is different.

I want to delete certain channels: foreign language channels (I do not speak languages supported), childrens' channels (I have no children) and films, sports and horror channels (I have no interest in them). The reason for wanting to get rid of them is to try to stop wish lists from constantly recording programmes on these channels, despite setting the wish list to avoid as many keywords and title keywords as I can.

I would happily set up hundreds of keywords to block recording these programmes on unwanted channels but if I set up too many keyword filters all it does is confuse the TiVo box and it continually locks up and needs to be rebooted.

The issue with it locking up and needing to be rebooted is a problem that has caused me to have my TiVo box replaced on at least two (possibly three) occasions, each time the technicians couldn't explain why it happened. The last time my TiVo box was replaced I set up all my wish lists and the filters as before and exactly the same locking up/rebooting issue occurred so I deleted half of the filter-words and it was then back to normal. I added the filter words back and the problem re-occurred – deleted them again and it worked fine. I did this four times to make sure it wasn't a coincidence and it was not.

For that reason I have to ration the amount of filter words I use and therefore want to delete channels to avoid all of my TiVo space being used up by programmes I will never want to watch.

Apologies for the lengthy post but I have attempted to be clear so that I don't waste the time of anyone trying to help.

My thanks in advance,

Clare
0 Kudos
Magic66
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I delete channels?

Hi Clare,

Unfortunately you cannot delete specific channels as you are paying for a 'package' from Virgin Media.

At present, Virgin Media do not allow you to pick and choose which channels you would like as part of your package.  As an example, some people in past posts have upgraded to a higher package to gain access to certain channels, but end up with countless sports channels when they're not interested in sport!

I understand what you're looking for, but I think that the option you're after is only really available on a 'package free' service like Freeview directly via antenna to your television where you can control which channels you want and which you can delete.  (Note:  Do not confuse the fact that you are getting Freeview channels at the moment as these are part of the package you are paying for from VM).

As to your WishList problem, maybe you could post an example where as a Forum we can sort something out or perhaps someone else has any views on this?

Magic66

Clarebj
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, you have explained it perfectly clearly and I'm very grateful. At least now I know it can't be done I won't keep looking for a way to do it!

With regards to the issue where too many filter words makes the TiVo box lock up I will perhaps look into that another time but thank you for the suggestion.

Kind regards

Clare
0 Kudos
ianward
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

There is a bit of a possible work round

1 - go to TIVO settings and favourite the channels you do want to appear in the guide, then once this is done

2 - when in guide, look at guide options (I think its the blue button) and select My Favourites

It will then only list your favourite channels, the guide view resets after about an hour I think but it can helpful and saves having to trawl through the channels you do want.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos