Menu
JGear
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can I copy programmes from TiVo box on to DVD discs?

I am actually a Sky customer but thinking of changing to Virgin for my TV as Sky is increasing the monthly charge AGAIN.  At present, I record TV programmes which go straight on to the Sky HD box.  To free up space on the HD box, and so I can watch the programmes months later, I then copy the programmes on to DVD discs as I have a DVD recorder/player connected to the HD box.

If I got Virgin TV and I recorded programmes on the TiVo box, would I still be able to copy those programmes from the TiVo box on to DVD discs? 

Is there a scart lead on the TiVo box so that I could connect my DVD recorder/player in to it?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I copy programmes from TiVo box on to DVD discs?

Yes you can do this. TiVo does have a SCART which outputs concurrently with HDMI.

However, output is real time only, meaning that you have to watch at the same time as copying.

The previous Virgin Media box, the V+ HD, could copy a stack of recordings in the background but I guess this could lead to wholesale, illegal copying of copyrighted material.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes you can do this. TiVo does have a SCART which outputs concurrently with HDMI.

However, output is real time only, meaning that you have to watch at the same time as copying.

The previous Virgin Media box, the V+ HD, could copy a stack of recordings in the background but I guess this could lead to wholesale, illegal copying of copyrighted material.

JGear
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So - at present with Sky, I choose 5 TV programmes I want to put on the DVD disc at a time and copy the 5 x 1hour programmes.   I just switch off the TV as I know I cannot actually watch anything on the TV while these programmes are being copied onto the DVD disc.  Then I switch the TV back on when the 5hours are about up so I can check when I've to stop the recording.

Is Virgin basically the same thing?

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

while you can't select what recordings to "archive" you can play a stack i.e. if all the shows are in the same stack/folder these will play out in order a la Sky+.

doesn't sound it'll be exactly what you're looking for but it's all there is.

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Pretty much, but I believe you can still watch the output .... (nothing else though)

0 Kudos
JimboX
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hallo sjp123,

I'm very interested in this thread as I'm thinking of changing my Tivo to a V6 box and similarly I have a number of recordings on the Tivo that I don't want to lose. Is this the only way of transferring them, ie a via a DVD recorder? I can go this route using a scart to recorder but how do I "see" the recorder afterwards to replay what I've archived? I have a smart tv without scart sockets, only hdmi, and I was thinking of a scart-to-hdmi converter. Would this let me see what's on the recorder for future use? Would appreciate any advice you may be able to offer.

JimboX

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A scart to hdmi converter is like a diesel to petrol converter - not possible, and if you did wire it up yourself, rather undesirable.

I tried to cirmcumvent all this by going wifi through my router, but Virgin UK thwarted me in this by not allowing video downloads on the Tivo box preferences.

It's all done, apparently, for copyright protection, but I suspect Mr Virgin is more interested in his profits.

Allen, London

patrickdraper
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I went to Virgin media from Sky and wish that I had not, Virgin media is not flexible and it is useless for saving programmes as programmes cannot be downloaded only watched at the time or from Iplayer which is very slow and is easier and faster using my broadband connection and my smart TV. Programmes can be recorded onto My Programmes live buy not retrospectively. 

0 Kudos
allen-uk
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well, you CAN record and save programmes, although only (as far as I've ever found) to a DVD recorder, which of course reduces the quality from 'good' cable input to very average video instead.

Maybe some whiz-kid could devise/describe a way of intercepting the signal of the programme playing on your TV (i.e. the cable-generated programme), and diverting it to a PC or Mac where you could save it as a digital recording.

Any offers?

Allen.