Menu
yorkshirejambo
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Cabling/connectors if switch from Sky to Virgin

Hi there

I am considering switching from Sky and have a question around the cabling and connectors.  In the main room it will be fine as there's a hole in the wall from when the house was previously connected to cable (prior to us moving in so over 10 years ago) but we would want a 2nd box in the kitchen/diner.  When we had some building work done in this room the builders hid the cables behind the wall from where the sky cables entered the room (next to patio doors) to where sky box is (other side of room). 

My question is- would I be able to use these same cables to install the 2nd Virgin box as won't be hacking through the wall to get the sky cables out again!

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is the incorrect forum

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cabling/connectors if switch from Sky to Virgin

The cables used by Virgin are of a different standard to those used by Sky.

Are the buried cables in trunking?  If you can pull them out, then the installation guys might (if asked nicely) be able to use them as pull wires to pull the VM cable through.  If they were buried tightly, then they won't be able to do that, and it's a surface mount of cable instead,

It is possible to get skirting boards with built-in trunking, (such as this) which makes such rewiring simpler in the long run.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
yorkshirejambo
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cabling/connectors if switch from Sky to Virgin

Thanks Argy

I don't think they are trunked but they aren't buried as such (they're sitting behind plasterboard) so not sure if you tried to pull them through whether they'd come or get snagged on joists etc.

I suppose my other option is under the floor as we can get access under there

0 Kudos