Menu
Renny
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

C501 Error

We are having major problems with our Tivo box today. I tried to watch a recorded programme this morning. The box froze. I restarted it a couple of times but the lights on the front of the box were behaving oddly, sometimes all lights were on and we seemed o gain a purple light which I haven't seen before. After a couple of reboots, I removed the box from mains power and left it off for a couple of hours. Turned it back on again and had the same issue. Also noted clicking from the hard drive as the box was starting. After a couple of further tries I phoned 150 and followed the instructions for remote diagnosis. After the suggested reboot the box seemed to start and we started watching a recorded programme. This froze a couple of times and we then got the Unexpected Problem C501 message. The box is still struggling to start. Can anyone offer any advice as we have a teenager about to start half term and I don't relish the thought of her being at home without TV.

0 Kudos
Renny
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: C501 Error

Quick update. The box seemed to have settled down around 9pm just in time for the start of the Bright Lights documentary on Sky Arts. Started watching it but then the box rebooted itself about fifteen minutes in and has just spent half an hour or so going through a constant starting up cycle. Has just come on again but i'm upset that it's wiped out half of my recording

0 Kudos
Renny
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Another update. Box has been waking up for 35 minutes now. 

0 Kudos
Renny
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just come off the phone with Virgin support. Looks like the box has had it. Not entirely surprised given it's behavior. They're sending out a new box via courier so I should have it within 24-48 hours apparently. If all goes as described then i'll be happy but i'll be sure to report back. It's a shame to have to lose my recorded shows but it's not the end of the world. Maybe Virgin TV Anywhere will work with the new box :-)

0 Kudos
Renny
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just thought i'd provide an update. The replacement TIVO box arrived as promised within 48 hours of my call. Glad to report that everything is now up and running. As a bonus, my Virgin TV Anywhere app now also works so I can remote control and view live TV from my phone/ipad. Sorry to lose some of my recorded shows but other than that, a good result.

0 Kudos