Menu
MrSoton
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bye Bye Tivo.. hello sexy Sky Q

Ok well VM only have themselves to blame.. been a loyal VM customer for over 10 years, but really frustrated wit the Tivo, which just seems to be getting worse  -  couldnt live with it any more!!!  Ok, so my BB has gone down from 100mb to a modest 60mb (think I can live with that!), but the SkyQ TV service certainly makes up for it.  

Just love the way it works, looks, multiscreens, everything about it really.. but more importantly.. its just does what you want, when you want it.. not 30s+ later!

Oh yeah, its also costing me £20 a month less!  I know this is a new customer deal, but Im happy to test out their retention's team in 11 months time.

I was holding out for the V6, but with very little info, eta... and nothing more than it will be 4k and allow you to stream netflix and other online content, Ive not seen any headline features!  So not boasting anything more than the average smart tv can do, or even sub £50 android box.  Ive always been an advocate of VM, cable is always better than satellite and phone line, but their Tivo really needs resurrecting in a major way.  I simply couldn't wait any longer and I thought SkyQ was a game changer when I first saw it a year ago.  

I am sort of hoping VM will pull something out of the bag that leaves me with egg on my face, as I would happily return, but until then, Ill enjoy a responsive TV experience!

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bye Bye Tivo.. hello sexy Sky Q

I think I'd go too except for one thing. When I had sky years ago every time it rained -normal rain not heavy-I'd lose the picture or it'd pixelate. What's your experience now?

0 Kudos
MrSoton
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

hah.. oh yeah, id forgotten about that.. not sure yet!!
0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Parrotperson wrote:

I think I'd go too except for one thing. When I had sky years ago every time it rained -normal rain not heavy-I'd lose the picture or it'd pixelate. What's your experience now?

I installed my dish myself and it is not a problem. I don't know where you live in the country or what size dish they install there but it absolutely should not be a problem in normal or even very heavy rain. Maybe once or twice a year you get a tiny bit of pixellation in the worst torrential downpour but compare that with all the national, regional and local faults Virgin have in a typical year and all the times you have to call out engineers to get the levels fixed (taking days of work) or you have to phone in and get "signals sent" or the weekly crashes and reboots we suffer. No brainer!

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if you wouldn't mind a wee question...

how many LNB cables are required?

I'm thinking (hoping) they done some clever Horizontal/Vertical stuff internally so only 2 cables are required but if it has 4 tuners it could well be that a fully populated 4 port LNB is required.

and, once you've had a good chance to play, would you mind coming back and updating your thoughts?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SkyQ users a wideband LNB which vneeds two cables with covers all of its tuners.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

sounds like it requires an LNB swap from my current quad, probably counts me out  as I'm unlikely to find anybody daft enough to get up on my roof again.

thanks oz

0 Kudos