Menu
Passero
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bug in series link

I just noticed some behavior which I believe is a bug in the software. Not sure if it has been pointed out but here it goes. 

I have a series link for Judge rinder. I configured it to only record new episodes and HD is set to "if possible". 

Today I noticed it was recording 3 episodes at the same time: 

ITV HD
ITV 
ITV AD (853)

I checked and they are all 3 the same episode. I don't know if it has something to do with it, but I notice that Judge rinder doesn't have any specific description as to what episode in what series it is. It just has the "new" notation so maybe that's why the tivo thinks they are all 3 different episodes. 

But even then, both ITV HD and ITV shouldn't record at the same time, right? 

Meanwhile I fixed it by specifying the channel to ITV HD only for the series link. 

After that I checked my previous recordings of judge rinder and it's even worse. Apperently he even records the +1 shows.... 

Because the series link is configured to store 10 episodes. He only stores two episodes but because there are 4 recordings per day (episode), I lost many episodes. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bug in series link

Based on your description I believe it's TiVo behaving as it's designed when there isn't any episode information.

You've told TiVo that you want to record the series, but TiVo can't tell whether the episode has previously been recorded, so will default to recording it.

TiVo also sees all SD and HD channels as separate, even when they mostly share the same schedule, so only generic detail is available it would also record episodes across any channel it sees based on the Series Link+ options.

With ITV marking the episodes as 'New', but then not then specifying the Series or Episode numbers, the only way around this is to restrict the Series Link+ to a specific channel - so either ITV or ITV HD depending on whether you'd want the HD version or not.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Passero
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm a software engineer myself and saying that it works as designed doesn't mean it isn't a bug. 
This means that the design is wrong and the way the series link interprets the data should be changed OR proper description should be added to the data. 

If you look at Sky's online scheduling, there is shows the series + episode so I assume it's a fault at virgin's side, right? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The tivo works on the logic that if it's not sure record it just in case, on the grounds that its better to record it if it's not wanted than to miss something that is wanted

If itv don't supply the episode data you cannot make them

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to some colleagues I mentioned this thread to, you should now find there is episode data for Judge Rinder.

So the Series Link+ should now only record one instance of each episode, and take it from the channel based on your Series Link+ preferences.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos