Menu
Vorlockfoss
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Box starts updating while I'm watching something...

I am sick and tired of the Tivo box starting to update itself while I'm watching something...!

I was just watching a cheesy Machete film before going to bed and viola, it shuts itself off without any warning whatsoever and starts to update.  20 minutes later I'm still sat waiting...!!

Why isn't there an option to postpone the update, maybe for 1, 2 or 3 hours, so I can choose when it updates, such as WHEN I'M NOT WATCHING IT...!!!

Now the mind numbing show that was supposed to numb my mind before sleep is no more & I'm very annoyed and agitated.

Cheers Virgin Media.  Maybe it's a good job that I have just had Sky installed in my front room.  Me thinks I may cancel Virgin at the end of the years contract.

Thanks,

Paul.

:0(

0 Kudos
Vorlockfoss
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Box starts updating while I'm watching something...

That's that sorted, just patched my Sky box in to my main TV...  The countdown begins...  :0)

0 Kudos
Vorlockfoss
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting...

0 Kudos
Vorlockfoss
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting...

0 Kudos
Vorlockfoss
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting nearly 24 hours later... I think it's broken...! 😞
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Our updates usually happen between 2am and 5am. Quite often I'm in the middle of something and it reboots itself. I would assume that by giving people the choice to defer could result in the box stop working/you would have no updated tv guide, And there will be some that just keep deferring it,
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vorlockfoss,

Thank you for posting, I hope you're enjoying your Thursday so far Smiley Happy

I am sorry to read that you have experienced some interruptions on the TV services when the box is updating. After having a look at the connection and running some tests, it's clear to see that the box isn't responding to my checks and will need an engineer.

If you can have a little look inside your Inbox, you'll see I've sent you a Private Message. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope.

Speak to you soon and welcome into the Community.
Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Vorlockfoss
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted Virgin the night I created this post and they said the same as you. An engineer came this morning and agreed my box was KO'd, so he gave me another.

I was sat here around 10 minutes ago and after getting in from work I thought I'd browse and see what was what. So, I started recording something so I could continue browsing, which I did, and guess what... The box became unresponsive and rebooted itself around 5 times, so I must assume it was updating. Not only was I actively browsing through the menu's, but I was also recording... :0/

Hi jamesofmerton, thank you too for your reply. I appreciate what you say, but I'm not imagining it, both my original box, and now this new box, restarted themselves before the suggested 2 am slot; this new one just restarted at around 23:15 GMT, as explained above.

Thanks,

Paul.
0 Kudos