Menu
crypticc
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bad picture quality on walking dead

Hi

Is it me or is the new Walking dead virtually unwatchab, especially on darker scenes when the picture becomes a grey pixelated mess. Thanks

Just looking at the clips and static extracts on the after show, talking dead, would appear to look excellent 1080 if a little grainy as normal

That seems to confirm in my mind there's something wrong with the compressed streams of the actual Walking Dead show that Virgin are using.

Can someone who also has sky comment on the PQ please?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad picture quality on walking dead

I can say it's not a Virgin-wide issue though - The Walking Dead is very good quality for us (TiVo, HDMI, LG 42" TV).

Keith

Signature 16-12-24 (forum size).png

0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

For me, many channels have been considerably worse since Tuesday, with high contract, poor colour and highly over compressed. Today the contrast and colour seems better but it is still highly compressed. Compared with my satellite feed, it is very poor. Was like watching a poor analogue channel through scart without RGB. I was told there is a fault in my area although the moderators here wanted to go through the usual "script" of sending signals and engineers yet again. Certainly does not help when everyone you speak to comes up with a different story. Personally I think it is to do with testing the V6 and squashing in the new channels and 4K streams. I'm not familiar with Walking Dead so it might not be related to that. I am getting zero errors on the diagnostics screens but I'm not sure if those have been working since the last update.

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good point. My broadband stops in the evening, about the time we're watching or recording what we want to watch later. Does Virgin use dynamic compression or fixed streams?  Definitely picture quality generally has taken a dive in the last year.  I didn't think to relate it to broadband bandwidth issues.

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

CNN (Channel 607) as an example, is still out-of-focus for me. On first glance it might seem ok but it is painful to watch for any amount of time.  Is it ok for everyone else? It is fine on satellite. As far as I know this cannot be down to signal levels as there is no pixellation and zero errors on the diagnostics screen.

0 Kudos
Craig82
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I watch Walking Dead on nowtv catch up and looks absolutely stunning for a 720p stream through my Chromecast.

I stopped using TiVo catch up over a year ago because it was poor in my area. I no longer have TiVo.
0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

Anyone else with sky via satellite and with experience of Virgin, or vice versa (or maybe via other means)?

It's grainy generally and looks like badly upscaled SD but is worst on the dark scenes that become a pixelated mess suggesting compression is bad. I'd assumed source material until they showed the same scenes on talking dead and they looked fine suggesting that the stream for the actual show is heavily compressed.

Tivo-scaling-bug

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

P.s. this is from watching live show or live recording. Not catch-up