Menu
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Back2Back Recording Failed - Old bug re-appeared!

Noticed a missing recording today from Sky Sports F1. The planned schedule around the time the failed recording happened was as follows:

12:30 => 15:30 Sky Sports F1 HD - Live: Formula One Motor Racing (Race)

15:30 => 16:15 Sky Sports F1 HD - Live: Formula One Motor Racing (Paddock Live)

With padding:

12:25 => 16:30 Sky Sports F1 HD - Live: Formula One Motor Racing (Race)

15:25 => 17:15 Sky Sports F1 HD - Live: Formula One Motor Racing (Paddock Live)

This is quite usual for when the F1 is on and I normally end up with the complete Paddock Live on the end of the Race recording (unless they are overrunning) so I can just delete the unwanted Paddock Live when I have watched the Race recording as I obviously watch the Paddock Live from this recording.

Today however when I went to delete the unwanted Paddock Live recording it was nowhere to be found. Checking the recording hiccups I can see it has listed the reason as:

Not Available - No Longer in Guide

Which I am sure we will all remember was the reason that was listed in the older versions of the software! Curiously, I checked the network connection times and the last connection was 15:27 so I can only assume that there is still some very minor timing issue still present in the logic that can cause the second back-to-back recording to disappear from the schedule when it is processing the new EPG data. Before anyone asks I have stepped backwards in the EPG and can confirm the EPG had not changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Back2Back Recording Failed - Old bug re-appeared!

Hi there G4DDS, 

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened for you, I was sure that this issue had been addressed in the firmware upgrade last year. 

I will highlight this post to some of the TiVo® developers so they can keep an eye on this, please let me know if anything like this happens again. 

Hopefully it was a one off. Apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there G4DDS, 

I've had word back from the TiVo® team, and this is the first instance they have heard of this happening again since the update towards the end of last year.

It's been suggested that this may have something to do with the Live Show Padding, so I'd really appreciate if you could keep an eye on this in future, and let me know if anything like this happens again, especially if it doesn't involve a Live TV programme. 

Many thanks

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Huw,

I'll keep a look out for anymore occurrences.

Just a thought, is it possible that it could have been processing the EPG data between 16:15 and 16:30 (don't know how likely that is for a 15:27 network connection?) which may have confused it? At this point the first programme would still be recording (due to the overlap) but the second would not have yet started (according to the recording schedule) but would have actually finished at 16:15. Could it be that at that time the EPG data would show that the 16:15 programme was currently on and it incorrectly assumed the 15:30 to 16:15 programme had been cancelled?

I don't think I explained that very well. Let me know if you want me to have another go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To be honest with you G4DDs,

I do get most of what you are saying there. 

The TiVo® does receive updates from the server every so often, so it is possible. I think because it was back to back live events, that the second show didn't record because the overlap on the first one took the time that the second show was meant to be on. However this is just an idea I have, and should not be used as testement. 

Out of curiousity, did your TiVo® record the whole of the second show (Paddock Live) even though it was bundled in with the original Live show?

Cheers

Huw

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The F1 schedule from Sky normally looks like this:

11:30 -> 12:00 - Track Parade Live

12:00 -> 12:30 - Pit Lane Live

12:30 -> 15:30 - Race Live

15:30 -> 16:15 - Paddock Live

So, with padding I normally end up with 4 recordings:

1. Recording from 11:25 to 13:00 containing Track Parade Live, Pit Lane Live and some of Race Live.

2. Recording from 11:55 to 13:30 containing end of Track Parade Live, Pit Lane Live and some of Race Live.

3. Recording from 12:25 to 16:30 containing end of Pit Lane Live, Race Live and Paddock Live (and also the programming from 16:15 to 16:30).

4. Recording from 15:25 to 17:15 containing end of Race Live and Paddock Live (and also the programming from 16:15 to 17:15).

It was just the 4th recording which failed. Luckily it was not needed (as is normally the case) but very occasionally the F1 does overrun and sometimes they are on air after 16:30 when the 3rd recording finishes so I like to keep the 4th recording in the schedule just in case.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Had another failure yesterday on Sky F1 under exactly the same circumstances as previously reported except the service connection time was 3:51 PM.

I think it looks very much like there are problems when there are two back-to-backs and the first one is extended so it covers more than the second recording and updated EPG data is processed after the time the second recording would have officially finished (without end padding).

As it happened I was watching live so I noticed the recording had failed and it just so happens that with the Mercedes tyre pressure investigation causing the live broadcast to be significantly extended I would have missed the end of it if I had been relying on the recording.

0 Kudos