Menu
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BBC red button channels olympics

Put the eventing to record on channel 564. It's actually on channel 571. Annoying. Luckily I'd come home and noticed. Who's responsibility is this! The BBC or virgin? 

0 Kudos
pm71
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC red button channels olympics

BBC, they have a habit of chopping and changing the live feeds which the EPG can't keep up with.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The b*****s. Messes up all your recordings. I shall complain! (I'm in the mood for a fight 😉) 

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You have just answered a question I was going to shout about ... that I could not find the red button streams! I expected them to be in the 900's (which is where I think they were four years ago) - but did not bother to look ! - so thanks for that. Will set it recording tonight

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But DO check ar some pint that it's actually still on that channel 🙄  Will be checking mine daily and have just lodge a complaint with Aunty Beeb. 

0 Kudos
NicolaW309
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My dad only found these channels by accident a few days ago and then told me.  I was checking around channel 990 as that's where they've been before, I did think it was strange that they weren't there at the start of the Olympics . . . why couldn't they have been put on 990s???

I'm also incredibly frustrated by the incorrect tv guide listings.  I'm trying to follow badminton and the majority of occasions it's a different sport and badminton is on a different stream.  This is completely unhelpful when you're at work and can't check/change recordings or during the night.  Don't know if it's BBC or VM where the issue is but please one of you sort it out.

To offer these 8 channels is great and they could be better than the red button, but if you're going to offer these channels then the tv guide listings need to be accurate.  At least with the red button you can watch events that have finished as well as live, and that is reliable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The BBC Red Button streams dedicated to the Olympics have always been placed in the Sports section of the EPG at the request of the BBC. The same goes for Sky customers (400 range), & Freesat customers (200 range). The only exception being Freeview, where there is no dedicated Sports section.

The Eventing was covered in HD on channel 561 as well as SD on 571. The athletics was also moved to another stream late on Saturday night. All these changes are due to the BBC, as they occurred on all the other platforms as well.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure they were in the 900's last year ...

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I recorded badminton horse trials this year on red button channel 991!!

anyhoo I emailed the Beeb who said there had a mountain of complaints about all the channel hopping and we're trying to keep to the advertised schedules but occasionally they would have to change things. 

Think it has been better (at least for the sports I've recorded ) after the first few days. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The channel 991 Red Button stream will return after the Olympics has finished, just as it did after the last Olympics. Additional streams have been added, usually for Wimbledon, occupying channels 990 to 996.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos