Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4 (118 Views)

BBC iplayer on tivo is rubbish!

I don't know whether anyone else is as frustrated as I am whilst trying to watch anything on BBC iplayer.I can't understand why all of the other channels on catch up work perfectly fine, programmes load quickly, they are simple to navigate, there's no buffering. BBC iplayer on the other hand is absolutely atrocious! It takes about 10 minutes to find a programme in the first instance, then another 10 mins of buffering while it loads a box to ask if you have a tv license, then another pop up to ask if you're over sixteen! More buffering while it eventually loads the programme (if you're lucky & you don't get another pop up to say 'sorry, iplayer doesn't seem to be working, please try later'). So then after about half an hour you eventually settle down to watch your programme & after about 5 minutes the buffering starts again & this goes on & on & on, stopping & starting the whole way through!  By the end, my viewing of the programme has been completely ruined &  I'm afraid I've just about lost the will to live! Don't even try to pause, rewind or fast forward either because it's utterly hopeless. I don't know if the fault lies with the Tivo system, broadband service or the BBC iplayer app but it is not fit for purpose. I find it hilarious that they have a cheek to ask if you've paid your tv license to watch something that you then can't even watch! At least Dick Turpin wore a mask 😠

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4 (77 Views)

Re: BBC iplayer on tivo is rubbish!

Tivo does have its faults, and BBC I player is certainly one of them. So much so, that I now watch BBC I player through the app on my Sony Bravia  smart TV.  But on some occasions, I get the same problem on the smart TV as I do on Tivo,  e.g. buffering, very slow loading etc.  So on this occasion, it would appear that the fault lies with the BBC and not Virgin.  That being said, it should still have been fixed by now.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 4 (43 Views)

Never has been good on Virgin. Better to use a smart TV or a computer.
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4 (33 Views)

Providing your Tivo broadband doesn't have any congestion issues (as is the case in these parts after far too long struggling), then it works extremely well once a program is streaming.

Problem is, getting to that point. Slow loading, and painful if you want to rewind.

Fortunately Tivo has 3 recordable tuners so use of iPlayer is the exception rather than norm.

0 Kudos