Menu
jim1685
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer through Virgin TIVO box-appalling service. Advice from Virgin - use SKY or NOW TV instead!!

I am getting so fed up with using BBC inlayer through my Tivo box.  For months, I have had interrupted viewing (with the buffering symbol appearing) almost every time I watch a programme, usually several times per programme.  

I phoned Virgin in March and was told that a number of people had complained and that the problem had been escalated. I demanded, and received, a refund.  2 months later I phoned again with no improvement to the service - 'over utilisation' was blamed again and again I was told it had been escalated and I received a small refund.

Tonight, a Tuesday night, I phoned again.  Again I was told that over utilisation is to blame - the advice was 'try and watch the TV in the afternoon rather than the evening!' I was then cut off and when I called back I was told that there was high utilisation, the problem has been escalated but it is not high priority so no time frame could be given for improvement to the service.  When I asked for a refund I was told I could not have one - it is a free service and therefore I am not paying for it.  When I argued that my access to the service is through TIVO and I pay £50 or so a month for my TV service I was told that is for live TV not On Demand or BBC iPlayer.

The advice - watch iplayer through Apple TV or Now TV box, SKY etc.

That's a great way to keep your customers Virgin.  Well done.  No doubt your systems, however, will be able to cope with taking the money from me every month without any disruption to service…….

roddydogs
Dialled in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer through Virgin TIVO box-appalling service. Advice from Virgin - use SKY or NOW TV inste

Never ending thread, you just have to accept it cant be fixed 100%, but then I.Player is "Iffy" on my smart tv as well, you just cant guarantee it will play properly.(thou it seem to on a tablet).

0 Kudos
Gunslinger1
Dialled in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer through Virgin TIVO box-appalling service. Advice from Virgin - use SKY or NOW TV inste

Presumably this also may depend on what is causing the poor service - i.e. is it just pressure on the server, or network problems more locally?

It may be that network or signal problems could be impacting on performance of both the Tivo service and the internet generally - in which case reception over NOW TV or Smart TV's could be similarly affected, depending on how resilient those devices are to poor or variable signal quality.

0 Kudos
spongebob
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've given up trying to watch BBC iPlayer via my TIVO box.  So slow & buffers.  Instead I plug my laptop into my TV with a HDMI cable & watch iPlayer that way.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer through Virgin TIVO box-appalling service. Advice from Virgin - use SKY or NOW TV...

Hi jim1685,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you're experiencing buffering on BBC iPlayer.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. I can all the signal levels of the TiVo® box are fine which is great news.

Could you answer the following:-

Do you get buffering during the day time?

Do you get the same problem on SD content?

Any other apps affected?

Please let me know and I'll happily provide a further explanation.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
jim1685
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer through Virgin TIVO box-appalling service. Advice from Virgin - use SKY or NOW TV...

I get buffering during the day time at weekends - I don't know during the day Monday-Friday as I'm at work!

SD - yes

Any other apps? Not sure but the quality of Netflix sometimes poor
roddydogs
Dialled in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Get them to "Run some tests"  Ha Ha.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Jim1685. 

Thank you for coming back with the further information. I do appreciate how frustrating this must be for you. 

Our technicians have been working on the network to relieve some of the pressures during busy periods. And will continue to monitor it. I can see that the latest reports are showing some peak time traffic, and this will be the reason for your buffering. 

Apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jim1685
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes - but is the service ever going to be improved.  I was last told 4 months ago that it was being looked into.  Guess things happen slowly at Virgin.  Meanwhile, I'm paying a fortune every month for a poor service…..

0 Kudos
roddydogs
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

See, its you fault for watching at "Peak Time"..........why on earth do you want to do that?