Menu
jc_pilot
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer on Tivo so slow to startup

Hi,

I have recently signed up to Virgin broadband, pohone and TV.  We have good broadband speed which varies from 40 to 60Mbps.  However, when we go into the Tivo home menu and go to the BBC iPlayer it takes around 1 minute to start up the application and get to the menus.  Once I have a programme playing its fine, but start up is so slow.

This only seems to be a problem with the iPlayer, the ITV player and Channel 4 player all work fine.

When I connect to the iPLayer on a tablet or laptop, we have no problem, its just on the Tivo box.  

Can anyone help please?

Regards,

John.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer on Tivo so slow to startup

Hi John, 

Cheers for coming in and posting your message, it's good to meet you. I've been able to look into the TiVo and she's running well, which is a great sign. I wan't able to find any faults as such, 

May I ask how long you've had this box for?

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
jc_pilot
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We got the box on the 21st Nov 16, and its still very slow to start bbc iplayer.  Evertything else is OK, broadband speed is good, and bbc i player is good on my laptop, tablet and phone, just slow on the Tivo.

John.

0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

the Iplayer on my Tivo has always been slow to load up. VM are well aware of this and it seems that they cannot do anything. It is just slow. It can take me anything upto 2 and a half minutes to be able to watch a show. I find this very frustrating. VM take our money and cannot give us the service we should expect. Try phoning VM and demand a reduction in you fee as you are getting a reduction in your service. We should not need to wait so long for the Iplayer to start up. You can ask all you want for them to speed up the iplayer response but I do not think the Tivo is able to speed up.

Also as a communications company they are very bad at any communications, they do not have an email address for complaints, or any email addresses!!

I shall let you know if my Iplayer speeds up, but I think it may be best to go and get a Freesat recorder that gives you all the free TV stations and all the catchup tv for no charge and you do not need to deal with VM at all!

0 Kudos
jc_pilot
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Thanks for sharing your experience, we changed over from TalkTalk, and to be honest the freeview and recorder box they supplied was better, and they don't want it back, so, will probably change back to that box.  I have had a few teething issues on the changeover, and also found the communication very poor from VM, the community seems to have been the best route.  Phoning the help lines has only saw me being passed from person to person multiples times without anyone actually helping, but eventually I did get some help via the community.

John.