Menu
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer intermittent loss of sound when accessing or leaving catchup or demand

Hi

Some time ago (about a year), we had our Tivo box replaced because there was no HD on channel 604. While that has been cured with the new box, we are now experiencing intermittent loss of sound when accessing or leaving BBC iPlayer. This fault has been gradually getting worse to the point where I would like to put a hammer through it, since the only way to recover sound (if I'm lucky) is to switch the Tivo box to standby, and back on again.

When playing a program or video clip there will sometimes (50%?) be no sound, which (sometimes) can be recovered by switching to HD while watching the program / video. This alone seems to indicate there is nothing wrong with the TV, and a lot to do with the Tivo box / system

When leaving BBC iPlayer, There will almost always be loss of normal TV sound until the Tivo box is switched to Standby and switched back on again.

Switching off at the mains and re-booting does not cure it.

The Tivo box is connected directly to the TV via a HDMI cable, there is no other connection.

This ONLY happens on the BBC iPlayer service (which is slow and hesitant itself when working "normally" - at least on my Tivo Box!)

Perhaps VM need to look a little more closely at how their system interacts with the iPlayer, and perhaps provide customers with a service worth paying for.

Regards

Dave Nash

Cheers

Dave
If you are going to kick a tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with it's teeth (Tom Clancy - The Teeth of the Tiger)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC iPlayer intermittent loss of sound when accessing or leaving catchup or demand

Hi higgsboson,

Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know of your updates. Smiley Happy

I have taken a closer look into this, I would like to escalate this to one of our fault teams to check out for you.

I have checked the box out remotely and all looks well with the signal and power levels.  

I will pass this over to our fault team to investigate further, and I'll get back in touch as soon as I hear more.

Thank you in advance for your patience, I'll be in touch in the next couple of days to give you an update.

CHeers Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer intermittent loss of sound when accessing or leaving catchup or demand

Update - The work around for my problem seems to be to switch the TV to standby, and then on again. So far this has proved successful every time. It's as if the TIVO box needs a wake up call over the HDMI link to turn the sound on!

At least this is better than having to start again with the expectation that the sound will be missing the second time round as well.

Cheers

Dave
If you are going to kick a tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with it's teeth (Tom Clancy - The Teeth of the Tiger)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there David, 

I'm really sorry to read of this annoying little glitch that you seem to be having when accessing and exiting the iPlayer app on your TiVo®. 

I've not been able to replicate this on our test box, and to be honest with you, I've not noticed it myself at home either, and I use iPlayer quite a bit at home. 

I've run some testing on your TiVo® and can't see any reported issues on your connection either. 

Could you let me know what make and model TV you are using?

Have you also tried a different HDMI cable?

Another suggestion if possible, is to try the HDMI cable in another port on your TV. 

Please also remove the HDMI from your TiVo® and your TV, then plug it back in. 

If you could let me know how all this goes it would be much appreciated. 

Many thanks and apologies once more. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huw

Thanks for the reply.

The TV is a Toshiba XV55 Digital Series. The HDMI input is set to Digital Audio. The TIVO output is currently set to Dolby Digital (Not PCM).

I've tried unplugging the HDMI cable and re-inserting it to wipe the contacts, that made no difference. However, I've not changed the cable, nor have I tried unplugging the HDMI cable while the fault is on, so I'll try that as well.

The HDMI link/ Integrity/protocol seems to be the target area, so I'll give it a go when I get a chance and let you know. For now, switching the TV to standby and back on seems to work every time, without touching the TIVO box.

Thanks for your help.

(Off topic Observation - My signature is being cut off by the "Kudos etc bar at the bottom of the posts, chopping characters in half horizontally - weird)

Cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Great stuff higgsboson, 

Thank you for letting me know all the details. 

When you do get the time to try the other things, please let me know how things go. 

Thanks again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
tanyadixey
Just joined
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have also have this problem. I watch something on iPlayer (when it works!) and when I return to live tv I have no sound at all. I have it worse as going to standby doesn't fix it, I have to reset the box to get the sound back.

I have a Bush Tv connected by a HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Huw

Unplugging and re-inserting the HDMI cable while the fault is on also brings the sound back on.

Cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Update to previous post.

Doing nothing else but changing the TV source to any other input then back to the TIVO box also recovers HDMI sound.

Cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi higgsboson,

Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know of your updates. Smiley Happy

I have taken a closer look into this, I would like to escalate this to one of our fault teams to check out for you.

I have checked the box out remotely and all looks well with the signal and power levels.  

I will pass this over to our fault team to investigate further, and I'll get back in touch as soon as I hear more.

Thank you in advance for your patience, I'll be in touch in the next couple of days to give you an update.

CHeers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi tanyadixey,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing this fault.  I would like to help check this out for you.

How are things looking today?  If you can let me know if the fault is still present, I'll be happy to help further.

Currently, your box when I check remotely all looks great signal and power level wise.  

Keep me posted, I'm here if you need me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos