Menu
teamfloyduk
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer buffering

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why BBC iPlayer is buffering when I choose to play something on HD please?

Cheers TF

0 Kudos
rps1013
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering

It always has done sadly and has got worse since the BBC moved to a web based application on TiVo negating the requirement for Virgin to hold the programmes on their servers.

The issues could be incorrect power levels which would require a tech visit, or over subscription in your area meaning the service can't cope with the bandwidth required. (Please note this utilisation is different to broadband utilisation)

Is it only in HD? What times of the day?

If you search the forum you will find countless posts on this very issue. Some folks in here say they have no issues with iplayer whilst others do. What is sure is it is a known problem for yeas and Virgin have done nothing to address.

I, like plenty of others, use other means to watch iplayer where there are absolutely no issues.

You can't get a refund either as virgin take the view that Iplayer is not part of your subscription.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi teamfloyduk,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing buffering via the BBC iPlayer on TiVo®.  I'll b e happy to help check this out for you.

I have carried out some checks with the TiVo® box and the signal and power levels are looking great from here.  Also there doesn't appear to be any high demand issues on the network causing this so far.  

The questions asked by rps1013 "Is it only in HD? What times of the day?" are great and it would be useful for us to know if SD has been affected at any point and if it happens at certain times of the day. 

One last question if I may, will this happen when using Netflix or YouTube?

If you can get back to me with further details I can help further.

I look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
teamfloyduk
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette 

It was at around 5pm, I don't use Netflix or Youtube and it doesn't do it on SD.

Not sure if related, but although I am on 100Mbps broadband I never get near to the 100, 52 Mbps at best the same as when I was on 50Mbps. I have tested the speed with laptop connected with Ethernet cable and get full speed but that's not really practical.

Cheers TF

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi TF,

Thank you for coming back, Collette's not in currently but I'd love to step in Smiley Happy

I've had a little look here and can see some development on the TiVo, your Input levels on 2 tuners are a little of but this should affect you viewing on the TiVo's BBC iPlayer. I can see you've mentioned this only in HD. Can you tell me if this is a specific show or many shows? Also, can you please have a little go on the Youtube through 'Search & Discover'?

Keep in touch and get back to me when you can. 

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
teamfloyduk
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I've now tried youtube and yes I get buffering on here as well also poor quality picture,Time 17:30

However just tried BBC iPlayer on "The Hunt" in HD and has been fine. Time 18:00

What are you thoughts on the Broadband speed issues?

TF

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi teamfloyduk, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this Smiley Happy

As you're having the issue on other apps it's likely there is a bit of congestion on the line in the evenings when you are seeing the fault. 

I've taken a look at things from this end and this level is not high enough for us to raise currently. We'll keep an eye on this and if the level raises, we can then look at raising a fault for you. 

With regards to the broadband speeds, as you are getting the full speeds via an ethernet cable, this shows there is nothing wrong with the equipment or connection. The slower speeds are likely to be due to the wireless channel you are on. Try changing the channel to see if this helps: http://virg.co/WiFiHelp

If not, pop a post over on the Broadband speed board so the experts there can take a better look Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
roddydogs
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear, mods still not admitting it cant be fixed 100%, still I suppose they cant really.

0 Kudos