Menu
Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 1 of 58
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer buffering on SD and HD

Broadband is fine, full speed at ALL times, however, BBC iPlayer doesn't actally buffer, it stutters both picture and audio on HD and SD .

Is this my TiVo, my connection or a BBC issue?
0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 2 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer buffering on SD and HD

Its normal service I'm afraid, has been for years. VMs over subscribed network is to blame, they don't see it as a priority as long they get your money each month.
Message 3 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Tomo72, 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue when trying to watch iPlayer. I have done some checks and can see that we are indeed aware of a utilisation issue that is affecting your part of the network. 

Our network technicians are currently working on this and we should have a further update on 15/01/2015. The reference for this issue is F003393496. 

Apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 4 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Huw_B wrote:

Hi there Tomo72, 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue when trying to watch iPlayer. I have done some checks and can see that we are indeed aware of a utilisation issue that is affecting your part of the network. 

Our network technicians are currently working on this and we should have a further update on 15/01/2015. The reference for this issue is F003393496. 

Apologies again 

Huw

Thanks for that Huw,

Does the utilisation issue F003393496 only affect the TV, in particular BBC iPlayer? as all the other on demand/catch up services, as well as the broadband, 'appear' unaffected

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tomo, 

The utilisation issue will affect anything that uses the TiVo® inbuilt modem, so this may also affect youtube and Netflix. 

The other on Demand shows come down through a different connection. With iPlayer through your TiVo® you stream your content directly from the BBC servers, that is why you are seeing this issue. 

Hope this clears things up a little. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 6 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Huw,

I'm just trying to get my head around cable after being a long time ADLS user.

From what I've read elsewhere on the forums, TiVo uses a dedicated (10Mb?) connection and has an inbuilt modem for streaming.

Does the utilisation F003393496 only affect my TiVo streaming not my broadband connection?

0 Kudos
Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 7 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Don't listen to a word they tell you as this has been ongoing for ages and they have done nothing about it.....it's not just your area it's everywhere..............

Message 8 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tomo72, 

The fault reference F003393496 is indeed for the TiVo® side of things. The inbuilt modem on the TiVo® uses a different part of the network than a broadband connection. TiVo® utilises the Docsis1 channels, whilst our broadband utilises the Docsis3 channels. 

This fault reference is solely to do with our Docsis1 streams.

Hope this clears things a little for you. 

Huw

Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 9 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Huw,

Please keep me up to date with F003393496 on the 15th

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tomo72, 

You can register for updates on faults here: http://virg.co/service

If you would like us to give you an update, that's also fine Smiley Happy Just bump the post and we'll happily take a look at this for you Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out