Menu
espo2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BBC Sussex

Why is it that Virgin cannot provide customers with BBC Sussex so that we can listen to local radio commentary? I cannot get an answer from Virgin other than that it is not a service which is provided by them.

I am seriously thinking of leaving Virgin for this reason but would like to hear if anyone else has a view on this. I can get BBC Wales and BBC Cymru and BBC Scotland and many more, all completely useless, but cannot get the local commentary. BBC Sussex is a BBC radio station after all.

To hear the commentary on the local football match this afternoon I was unable to use my Virgin facilities, why NOT?????

0 Kudos
espo2
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BBC Sussex

Why can I not get BBC Sussex radio on my Virgin Media package? BBC Cymru no problem. BBC Scotland of course. BBC Wales certainly. But BBC Sussex? No way.

I cannot get a straight answer from Virgin. Can anyone assist?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC Sussex

Ive merged your 2 posts on the same subject , as per the House Rules..

House Rules

Staff replies take up to week ATM

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

sky don't have bbc sussex either. nor bbx essex, bbc surrey. virgin and sky obviously don't have the rights/licensing for those channels. the ones they do have cover larger areas ie bbc scotland bbc wales.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BBC (& commercial) local stations ceased to be carried on cable with the removal of the individual franchises analogue headend eqiuipment & also the FM radio bypass the analogue boxes had. Radio reception is now via 2 master headends (main & a backup), & is driven entirely from satellite transmissions. Only BBC Radio London (which is available on satellite) is provided on channel 937.

We are unlikely to see them return due to the costs it would incurr on the BBC. Also all the local radio stations are available on the Radioplayer or Tune-in apps (amongst many others). Most modern SMART TV's have these apps built-in & are a far better (& cheaper) option than providing a layer of platform provision across a very complicated (& crowded) cable TV network. I have made the suggestion that one of these apps would be a good addition to the V6.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile