Menu
sapper_arj
Superfast
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

BBC On demand/BBC-Player Buffering issues

Hi all

Recently, we have started to have major buffering issues. Often HD i-player is un-watchable due to stuttering. Even SD content is difficult at time s(currently trying to watch the Lost Egyptian City documentary.

Status suggests no issues..

Adrian

0 Kudos
ajr69
Just joined
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC On demand/BBC-Player Buffering issues

Your not the only one having issues with this

I had issues the other day and have had constant buffering issues all of today.  I've just given up on contacting virgin by phone after spending over an hour on hold!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi sapper_arj,

I'm sorry to hear that your having an issue with buffering issues on your TiVo®.

I have had a look at your account to check all is good and can confirm that your TiVo® is right where it needs to be. All signal levels are good, no issues in your area and no errors or timeouts showing either.

This would mean that you are one of the unlucky ones who are suffering from an issue with apps on the TiVo® buffering. We are aware of the issue and are making tweaks to the service to get things resolved.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sapper_arj
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi KAth

Many thanks for your replies.

The other evening whilst watching Have I got news for you, on I-player, it got sooo bad, that I had to resort to watching it on my tablet.

So this is not good.

This 'fault' you mentioned, is it related to my Tivo? Why do only some of us have problems?

Yours curiously

Adrian 

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

See these threads http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/BBC-iPlayer-again/m-p/2270011#M94256, http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/iPlayer-judder/m-p/2268569#M94199

Also, this statement,  "The networks team are aware there is currently an issue with the BBC iPlayer app and we are currently working to get this resolved asap.

I've emailed across for an update today but checking the ticket for this there's been no further information given."

We'll see.

0 Kudos
appleman
Dialled in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I experienced the same problem last night when watching the first three episodes of "Happy Valley" on iPlayer.

HD was unwatchable with constant stuttering and buffering. Switching to SD it was at least watchable with only the occasional stutter/lost frames across the three episodes.

I find this very frustrating on an otherwise excellent platform. I want to watch it in HD!

Looking through other threads over the last year or two this had been a a problem for lots of others. Surely it is unacceptable for any issues to remain unresolved for so long.

What are Virgin doing about it?

On demand used to be a key differentiator for Virgin vs Sky however I am not aware of Sky customers experiencing these issues. Its all well and good having 100Mb broadband and a 10Mb dedicated pipe into Tivo but this is useless when the bottleneck is further upstream.

IPlayer on iPad works flawlessly
0 Kudos
appleman
Dialled in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi

A reboot has solved the buffering issue for the moment however I still experience stuttering and lost frames which ruins the viewing experience. I don't see any specific issues in my area over on the service status page but perhaps there is an issue with my tivo box?

Frazer
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey appleman

Sorry to hear about these problems, are you finding the stuttering and picture issues only occurring with the BBC services?

I've run some tests on the set top box and we're not detecting any major issues with your set top box at the moment, are you still experiencing this issue after a few days?

speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
const1112
Dialled in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

These iplayer issues are well reported on this forum. I don't understand why Virgin can't get this solved. I still have the issue. when my tiro was installed the engineer demonstrated iplayer and said 'we are working on it' no time frames

appleman
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I only find that the stuttering happens on BBC services such as iPlayer and the Radio 1 Big Weekend app which stuttered and crashed out to normal tv after a while of watching last weekend. A reboot appeared to cure the major buferring issue.

Searching through the forums there are a large number of customers over a number of months facing the same problem. Are VM recognising this as a major issue and will make a statement on the progress they have made to reolve it?

Frazer

0 Kudos