Menu
Nimbamoss
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

BBC 3 saved programmes

HI,

Yes, I know BBC has gone digital but it still show as a channel albeit not accessible.

But over the last few years I have recorded a lot of music programmes from BBC on HD to watch and save. Glastonberry Radio 1 Big weekend.

Now the menu says i still have them and the drive is still registering but I cannot access them, even after entering the passcode several times.

What is the point of recording programmes if when the channel moves or Virgin media drops the channel or the supplier drops the channel the saved files become totally lost, it's not as if I can copy them to a memory stick!

Please advise,

Ian Carlton

Customer of 17 years!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC 3 saved programmes

There has been a sticky on the TV board since BBC3 closed as a reminder as to how long recordings could be viewed:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/BBC3-channels/td-p/3077629

You do not own Virgin's box, so do not own the recordings on them, which are only licenced by the broadcasters for timeshifting purposes on Virgin's system. Transfer to another box is not allowed for the same reason. It is not a techs job to help copy recordings to a DVD/VCR recorder, which is the only way you could do it.

As time moves on the restrictions are likely to get worse, as the technology is already in most modern boxes to facilitate time limiting the viewing of recordings held on them.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's part of the agreements that Virgin Media have with the broadcasters and that the broadcasters have with their content providers.

Once a channel is no longer broadcast by Virgin Media (or ceases to exist completely) then after three months the recordings can no longer be accessed as Virgin Media no longer have the right to show the content.

In the case of BBC Three this was extended to six months with agreement from the BBC. 

The time limit on recording was part of the BBC Three closure information.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Nimbamoss
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,
So if I had recorded them to a HD recorder with a Hard Drive I could still view them?
Maybe get rid of Tivo and put freeview HD in then record I would still have them?

Is it because the Tivo is still technically VM property so the content is technically still VM's?

Never mind, I had an older Virgin box die and althought HD was still working, loads of saved media but the tech who cam was particularly grump and wouldn't even attempt to save the contents to any media I had available.

When are the new Tivo's coming? Do longer service customers get first option or do the newbies on cheap contract get them?

Ian
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There has been a sticky on the TV board since BBC3 closed as a reminder as to how long recordings could be viewed:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/BBC3-channels/td-p/3077629

You do not own Virgin's box, so do not own the recordings on them, which are only licenced by the broadcasters for timeshifting purposes on Virgin's system. Transfer to another box is not allowed for the same reason. It is not a techs job to help copy recordings to a DVD/VCR recorder, which is the only way you could do it.

As time moves on the restrictions are likely to get worse, as the technology is already in most modern boxes to facilitate time limiting the viewing of recordings held on them.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile