Menu
LyndonB
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Automatic Deletion of Recordings

My Tivo recordings since Christmas have been set for automatic deletion after about 3 weeks. I know it is possible to go to each recording and change this setting but it is annoying.  Why is it defaulting to automatic deletion and how can I change it?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Automatic Deletion of Recordings

At 98% full, your TiVo is effectively full and in order to continue to do the job you want it to do and record further programs, it has to delete other unwatched programs.

I would never run a TiVo fuller than about 70% if you still wanted it to do its job.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

All recordings are set for automatic deletion unless you set them for 'keep until I delete' but it only actually happens if space is needed for new recordings.

LyndonB
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply but it has not helped.  Since Christmas all my recordings have been given an 'expiry date'.  Initially this was about 3 weeks after the recording date.  Three days before the expiry date an hour-glass icon appeared alongside the listing in My Shows and when I selected the recording there is a caption 'This recording will be deleted within 3 days'. Two days later the caption changed to 'This recording will be deleted within 24 hours'. Unless I went to Options and selected 'Keep until I delete' the recording was deleted and was not recoverable from 'Deleted Recordings'.  During this period my disc has been fairly full but has never been more than 98%.

Since Christmas the expiry period has gradually reduced from 3 weeks and is now 2 days, i.e. a recording I made this afternoon will be deleted on Friday!  I am going away for a few days and believe that recordings made while I am away will be deleted before I return.  Help!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

At 98% full, your TiVo is effectively full and in order to continue to do the job you want it to do and record further programs, it has to delete other unwatched programs.

I would never run a TiVo fuller than about 70% if you still wanted it to do its job.

0 Kudos