Menu
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Audio is out of sync every time tivo and TV are powered on from standby

When the Tivo and TV are powered on from standby, the audio is always half a second behind. This can be rectified by either changing the TV source away from the Tivo HDMI and back, or by putting the Tivo in standby and powering it back on again. This is 100% reproducible and happens regardless of the channel that the Tivo is outputting (BBC1, Syfy or whatever). My TV is a Samsung Series 6 LCD http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE32EH6030KXXU
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Audio is out of sync every time tivo and TV are powered on from standby

I've found that waiting 30 seconds for the tivo to wake up (welcome to the 20th century) before switching the TV on prevents the audio sync issue. This is really not an issue that paying customers should have to deal with and I'd appreciate some feedback from Virgin Media.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi dwedgebury,

Thanks for coming by and I'll be happy to help check out what's going on with the sound not syncing correctly when you turn on the TV service.

I have taken a look at your box remotely to look at the signal and power levels, they are all fine.  Can I ask if you have any audio equipment connected please?

If you do, does the same happen when the audio equipment is not connected?  

If you can let me know, I can check this further for you. 

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colleette,

There is no additional audio equipment, just the Tivo and TV connected by hdmi.
0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Colleette,

Would you mind explaining how the signal levels coming in to the Tivo would cause this issue?

I'd have thought it more likely to be an issue with the hdmi connection between the Tivo and the TV (a bug in their firmware perhaps), rather than the link between the Tivo and the VM network, but I'm happy to learn more...
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi dwedgbury,

Thanks for your reply and for confirming that you have no additional audio equipment.

When signal issues occur they can cause a varied array of symptoms including sound problems.  I would agree that in this case it does seem to point more towards the HDMI connection in some way.

Can I ask if you have tried a different HDMI lead or a different HDMI source in the TV?  If not, if you can give this a try and let me know how this goes.  If that doesn't work then the next step will be to arrange for an engineer to call round and check out our equipment incase there's a fault with the box causing the issue.

Keep me posted on how you get on, I'm here to help.

Collette.

Forum Team.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dwedgbury
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing the HDMI input on the TV made no difference nor did swapping hdmi leads. As explained previously, switching TV input away from HDMI 1 and back fixes the lip sync issue. So does removing the HDMI lead and inserting it again. Switching either the TV or Tivo off and back on again also fixes it. It is only when the TV is already on when the Tivo is switched on from standby.

Switching the TV on just after rebooting the Tivo resulted in the lip sync being correct (after a seemingly eternal wait for the Tivo to boot up).

If there is a fault with the Tivo, i doubt it will be something an engineer can fix and I don't want to lose any of my recordings if a replacement box is offered thanks.

It's probably a bug introduced in the most recent Tivo update - some troubleshooting there would be a good idea.
0 Kudos