Menu
bobajob61
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Anyone know why my TiVo would lose shows that I recorded during the last week?

I've had issues before where TiVo has lost large chunks of my recordings (perhaps several months worth at a time).  Usually this happens when the TiVo usage is getting quite full (more than 80%).  But this time it has removed shows recorded last week and the current usage is only around 60%.  Why would this happen?  The shows were definitely not manually deleted and nothing shows up in the recent deletions folder. 

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone know why my TiVo would lose shows that I recorded during the last week?

It's a common long standing bug. Seems to be posts about this a couple of times a week. 

Seems VM are happy to compensate sufferers with no signs of an imminent fix,.

Here is the most recent thread. There are many more, if you do a search.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Overnight-almost-half-our-recordings-disappeared-And-are-no...

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
bobajob61
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Anyone know why my TiVo would lose shows that I recorded during the last week?

Cheers -

I called up to report the fault.  The first thing the call-handler did was reboot my Tivo box without even asking me!  Just as well nothing was recording at the time.  He also mentioned reformatting the drive, which would wipe ALL recordings.  I explained I obviously did not want to do that.  He eventually offered £6 compensation. 

I'd like to take this up further as a complaint with VM as it has happened a few times before and obviously never been sorted. 

What is the best route to make a complaint about this (preferably without going through offshore call centres)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Can you say what programmes went missing - and how many you had (and now have) of them?

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
bobajob61
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Noticeable missing things were last week's episode of The Game.  Last week's Delivery Man.  Last week's Peter Kay show.  There were more but I don't remember them all.  All the remaining stuff are recordings I've made "Keep Until I delete".  The default setting is "Keep until space is needed".  The percentage of capacity free has reduced from around 62% to 56% but even at 62% used I would not expect last weeks recordings to be auto deleted?

0 Kudos
bobajob61
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

A bit more detective work has revealed that the programs from last week which were deleted all show up in Recording Hiccups as deleted - "space needed". 

This despite the box only being around 62% full at the time.  Bizarre! 

Can you pass this on to VM techies to investigate further - I believe this is a common fault.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi bobajob61

Thanks for your feedback around the issue you experienced with your TiVo® recordings.

I'll absolutely pass your account on as requested to the team who have been monitoring the impact this is having on our customers.

There are some steps we can look at  on your TiVo® box to see if they can be recovered although there is no guarantee this works everytime, and we would need to run other checks first, so calling in was probably the best option if you had already tried the advice on the threads that have been posted on your post.

If there's anything else I can look at for you, then please let me know.

Thanks again 

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Agent_P
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just in the vain hope that if we keep moaning about this it will finally get resolved....

My box decided to dump a whole raft of recordings at 20.05 today.

From memory I was at about 80% capacity earlier today and am now down to 60%.

To make matters worse it also did a similar thing at 22.07 on 12/5.

Each time it has deleted pretty much everything that wasn't KUID.

Just don't trust it now.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Agent_P,

Thanks for coming by.  I'm sorry to hear that some of your recordings have gone.

This is something our teams are working on and we understand it is massively frustrating when this happens. 

As soon as we know more, we shall update you here. 

If this does happen gain, give us a shout.  We're here to help if you need us. 

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dtadamson
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Having this happen to us tonight (for the second time that we are aware of) can someone explain the "steps" that could possibly recover all the shows which have been wiped and not put into the recently deleted folder?

Last time we were told that we'd be as good to reformat the drive which is the last thing we want as we still have KUID programs and films on there.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if we still had a list of all the missing episodes and films so we could remind the TIVO box to record any of them that get repeated.

Bloody typical this happens this week when we were planning on watching all the shows we'd stored up since about christmas during the summer break of the US TV shows on sky etc.

0 Kudos