Menu
JulianMHall
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Another Update Another Slow Down

Hi All,

The last time Virgin did a major update to the TiVo firmware my box slowed down and has stayed sluggish. However, now they've done another one and it's even worse. Any function such as opening My Shows or the TV Guide takes several seconds. Deleting programmes or even starting them to play takes a similar amount of time. Frequently I get the busy icon when the box takes even longer, ten to twenty seconds.

Why, when VM do a firmware update can't they test it to make sure it actually works at an acceptable speed first?

Kind regards,

Julian

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another Update Another Slow Down

Hi Julian, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear your TiVo® has been running slow. 

The first thing to try is giving it a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there. Has this made any difference?

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up!

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Gordyola
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another Update Another Slow Down

The OP is spot on the software has slowed down the box and looking through the forum there are numerous threads and posts saying the same thing VM's only response is rebooting and clearing cache, totally ignoring the problem Time to switch back to Sky their new Q boxes look interesting 

0 Kudos